25,000 Indian-origin British doctors to return to India

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yuvrajjj, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Nearly 25,000 British doctors of Indian origin are set to return to India within two to four years and some of them are "most likely
    to join the seven AIIMS-like institutions" proposed to be set up by the central government.

"There are around 15,000 young Indian-origin doctors undergoing training in different parts of Britain who will return to India," Ramesh Mehta, president of the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, told media.

"Also, at least 10,000 senior doctors of Indian origin who are retiring from their jobs in the UK, are set to return to India," said the doctor, currently on an Indian tour.

He said they have already talked to the Indian health ministry and have got a favourable response. "The government has allowed us to come back and practise."

He said the ministry told the association that there will be a problem in finding quality doctors to man the seven new medical colleges modelled after the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).

"We believe that these young doctors who are undergoing training in the UK currently, can be of great help in the new AIIMS-like institutes," he said.

The central government has given a go ahead to seven AIIMS-type medical institutions in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. Each of these institutes will come up with a cost of Rs.300 crore (Rs.3 billion).

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...rs-to-return-to-India/articleshow/5407307.cms

2. Oh groan, one more from Yuvrajjj (hope I got the number of j's right). I am from India, and even I am tired of this continual chest-thumping. :p

Yuvrajjj, our country has a long way to go, and it is wiser to make progress quietly first. Also, to be honestly self-critical, if one's country is oh-so-f***ing awesome, then it's living conditions and the happiness of it's residents would speak for itself, and there is no need to shout it out from the rooftops. India may be a great case for long-term investment, but only a blind and mentally retarded fool can be proud of our country's present condition : all-permeating corruption and the creaking infrastructure being the top two problems.

And oh, a quick google search reveals that the real reason these doctors might be returning to India is that they have no jobs and that after the recession, the UK government has been forced to adopt a "prefer-the-natives" stance w.r.t. doctors. I did not research this thoroughly, but I definitely do not trust the implied message in your article that the doctors are returning because India is some of milk-and-honey land which they are glad to return to.

I'd appreciate it if you can stop posting the jingoistic nonsense until, say, we are below 50 in the corruption index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-...eful-of-positive-ruling-from-UK-court/278540/

3. toc

toc

'it is wiser to make progress quietly first. Also, to be honestly self-critical'

Very well said! India needs such approach for the long run benefits.

:D :cool: :p :)