24" Monitors on Nvidia Quadro NVS 285's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Dec 10, 2007.

1. I had no problems running two Dell 24" monitors on an NVS 285 card. See my thread below:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107992&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

I only ran the set-up for a couple of weeks before upgrading to an NVS 440. As I mentioned in my thread, I did feel that the graphics rendering was inferior in Portrait mode, but it worked well in normal mode. I bought the NVS 285 PCIE x16 cards from TigerDirect for about $70 each, so they were definitely a bargain.

Regards,

Slave2Market

#21     Dec 12, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

Thanks for the info... especially, too about the 2, x16 slots not running video cards except as 1. Shame on mobo maker!! (Or, maybe the BIOS had SLI selected so that both slots ran only 1 monitor.. and maybe you could de-select that and run 2 cards separately? Just hypothesizing...)

Your poor viewing angle when in portrait mode was at least partly (and perhaps mostly) due to your having monitors with TN panels.

When the specs give only one "viewing angle", you have a chance of determining the type of panel.

If the angle is "160 degrees or less", it's definitely TN

If angle is "178 degrees, most likely IPS"

If "176 degrees", most likely VA.

If "170 degrees", probably TN and they are exaggerating, but maybe VA and they're being conservative.

Some makers state viewing angle based upon maintaining Contrast Ration > 10:1. Others, 5:1. The 5:1's are stretching to make it sound better, of course.

#22     Dec 12, 2007
  3. My Dell came with NVS285 and I'm running single 23" @ 1920x1200 with no problem.

#23     Dec 12, 2007