22 things you need to know about trading from Vic Niederhoffer

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, May 2, 2013.

1. The guy is flawed, no doubt. If he wasn't , he would be Soros's size or larger. surf

#51     May 3, 2013
  2. Any background on her, Pekelo? Another basement dwelling trading billionaire or someone who is actually accountable outside of the internet? thanks, surf

#52     May 3, 2013
  3. Not from selling puts!

#53     May 3, 2013
  4. LOL! do you really think that's all the guy does? :D

#54     May 3, 2013
  5. BlueTurtle's top-10

1. buy at the beginning of a trend
    2. go with the Fed, know exactly what they do
    3. never trade liquid markets, too efficient
    4. go with smart money, before they buy more!!
    5. never listen to gurus
    6. never listen to the TV
    7. never read books on trading
    8. never believe another trader
    9. make big money, retire early
    10. 22 things will likely cost you more money

now buy my book sheep!!!!

#55     May 3, 2013
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

There were 2 threads on her (she has a math and accounting degree) and I can't find the other one, it might got deleted when ET had its problems. Anyway, I have found another Karen, and boy I am in love:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/sep/09/features.woman5

"She's worth $100m, runs a $400m hedge fund, has two sets of twins and four nannies"

"Karen Finerman, of Metropolitan Capital in New York, is actually willing to crack open the secretive, testosterone-rich world of the hedge-fund manager. She is 42, and began her hedge fund 15 years ago. It was then worth $4m; now it is worth $400m. She lives in a vast apartment on the Upper East Side, earns some $5m a year...."

"Metropolitan Capital's return has been more than respectable: an average 15 per cent return over 15 years in an industry where a lot of funds disappear in a year"

"The fund is about $400m in assets and a big chunk of it is my partner's and my money."

#56     May 3, 2013
  7. I know that it was the single greatest driver of PNL for his firm. My brother was involved in his last debacle, which I told you in the past. Are you disputing that the vast majority of his gains and the blowups were caused by shorting puts?!

Sure, he took small directional bets, but the lion's share of PNL was shorting index puts. You want to to make the guy out as some sort of discretionary Jim Simons which is ridiculous.

#57     May 3, 2013
  8. hahaha, the vast majority of her NW is from her husband who runs Golub Capital. You guy's just eat-up the CNBC propaganda. Finerman's fund has never reported performance and the metrocap fund AUM is <$100MM. The Guardian needs to do some fact-checking.

#58     May 3, 2013
  9. Yeah, there had to be "catch" with that story-- thanks for the info.

surf

#59     May 3, 2013
  10. Thanks, Pekelo- Very succesful family-- she's not bad looking either!

surf

#60     May 3, 2013