2021: Pictures Of Your Trading Stations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris Paciello, Jan 24, 2021.

1. luisHK

luisHK

U're gonna go a long way!

#31     Feb 12, 2021
  2. [​IMG]

#32     Feb 13, 2021
    igr, d08 and sef88 like this.
  3. themickey

themickey

Back of cabinet needs ventilation holes.

#33     Feb 13, 2021
    d08 likes this.
  4. It does, but you can't see them very well.

Ideally I'd have a massive data centre rack but apparently that wouldn't look right in the house

GAT

#34     Feb 14, 2021
  5. what do you have each of those computers hooked up to? Can you show your screen setup?

#35     Feb 14, 2021
  6. sef88

sef88

I believe it's a headless set up. He probably just need to SSH in.

#36     Feb 15, 2021
  7. Yeah here's my 'screen setup'
    [​IMG]

I'm fully automated, so apart from the occasional VNC in if the IB gateway / IBC goes down and needs manually restarting I never use the 'screen's on these machines.

There are only 3 'computers' in the cupboard; from top shelf downwards: (out of shot) wireless router, (first in
    shot) my older rather underpowered trading server which I now use purely for monitoring purposes, switch, from left to right: modem, NAS, backup storage, then on the bottom shelf two headless trading PCs (live production and backup/test/research). I got these in the last couple of months, they're completely identical: i7-9700, 32GB DDR-4, 1TB SSD (probably not as powerful as most, but I don't need to drive dozens of screens or bloated trading GUIs; my older machine was only a 2 core celeron/ 4GB and still ran everything just fine albeit running reports and so on was a bit slow).

GAT

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    #37     Feb 15, 2021
    igorip204, d08, rb7 and 1 other person like this.
  8. cesfx

cesfx

I am very impressed as I trade manually from a thinkpad and sometime manage positions from android mobile or tablet... not picture worthy.

I find algo trading fascinating but programming is a whole new language for me. I also thought that most successful automatic trading was happening from big companies freezers.
    But I can see servers here, some remotely monitored.
    Are all of your codes programmed by yourself?

#38     Feb 15, 2021
  9. sef88

sef88

Argh. I never figured out IB controller. But logging in just once a week to restart my IB gateway seem to deter me from figuring IBC out.

#39     Feb 15, 2021
  10. Occam

Occam

Thank you for sharing your setup! I don't know if this is helpful at all in your case, but you can host a (much flatter!) server in a major datacenter for as little as maybe $120 a month, including electricity and blended Internet, and have zero downtime. Latency is also far better than from typical home service, even if over the same geographic distance -- at least this is true in the US.

#40     Feb 15, 2021