2020: a dest odyssey

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. destriero

destriero

I previously mentioned that I would do another (IRA) trading journal once my TDA IRA PNL rolls over in Jan. I earned $442K on my IRA balance in 2019 but it was on a significant starting net liq. I've been actively trading my IRA since 1993 with no exogenous cash since 1998(?). So the net liq was approximately 95% organic growth.

I pulled the majority of the IRA (along with my taxable net liq) in 2019 to fund a partnership and to buy some RE.

So here we are on the cusp of 2020 and I am going to be very aggressive with this $98K remaining in my IRA. I am jumping the gun a bit and working CMG short deltas, but the shit seems to trade by appointment. I am exceedingly bearish on the name for 2020... among others.

The journal will be a bit unstructured. I have a lot of stuff going on in different spaces and most of it cannot be discussed publicly, however, I can discuss my IRA freely.

I am short a slug of TSLA and AMZN here, but those are in pro-taxable accounts. Those won't be reconciled here; only stuff traded in my IRA.

I am all for constructive discussions but will not tolerate trollish BS. We all know this thread will go to the top of the charts on views so I will be liberal with my reporting of trolls. If I can't keep you out then you will not benefit from the light refracting from my mind.

(tongue in cheek... chill).

It starts today if I gets a fill on CMG.

2019-12-30_11-14-40.png

birdman, imjohn, guru and 8 others like this.
  2. destriero

destriero

I am short 80D in CMG here in vol. I will update running PNL and a week-ending screenshot.

guru, johnarb and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  3. trader99

trader99

@destriero Great. Looking forward to reading your journal. BTW, I also trade in my IRA. But I don't withdraw due to tax penalties. Why do you withdraw from IRA account? Can't you just withdraw winnings from your taxable account. The penalty is as higha s 40% for early withdrawal?

comagnum likes this.
  4. destriero

destriero

I got to a point where I had two large commitments that I could not meet by liquidating my taxable accounts. I am still 15Y from retirement so it made sense at the time.

5. destriero

destriero

The trade is an asym-condor out to Jan20. Short 60D; long 220T; short 1,060V.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    johnarb likes this.
  6. Sub'd ya filthy animal

johnarb and destriero like this.
  7. This is weird - I only see this one page on this thread, what happened to the others?

8. Oh wait, did destriero get banned or something? I see now he was the thread starter. Crying shame if so. :(

9. Overnight

Overnight

He started the thread just before 2PM today. There are only 8 posts in the thread, so yes, there would just one page of it.

10. Yes 10% plus regular tax rate (up to 37% for high earners) if before 59 1/2, unless hardship (medical bills after losing job). So probably 40% at least?. Still, dest piled up these bux no sweat and would have had to pay taxes eventually anyway, unless it was a Roth.

Good luck dest, let 'er rip!

#10     Dec 30, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.