2019 Sohn Conference New York Recap

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, May 8, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Sohn Conference is my favorite hedge fund event. I haven’t missed an event since 2013. This doesn’t mean that every stock pitched at the conference is a great investment opportunity and will beat its benchmark. A few weeks ago we took a look at the performance of thestocks pitched at the 2018 Sohn Conferenceand found that these stocks outperformed their benchmarks by 3.2 percentage points.

We got pitched more than a dozen investment ideas in 2018. We didn’t tell our subscribers to invest equal amounts in each of those picks. Who does that anyway? A rational investor listens to all of these ideas, identifies a few promising ones, does his/her in-depth analysis, and then decides to pull the trigger on maybe 1 or 2 of these ideas. That’s what I did. One idea particularly stood at for me. I spent a few weeks analyzing that idea and decided to recommend it in our monthly newsletter. Our monthly newsletter tries to identify the “best stock picks of the best hedge fund managers”. We launched this strategy a little bit over 2 years ago and our stock picks managed to return 64% and beat the S&P 500 Index by nearly 40 percentage points.

How did we do it? By identifying the best stock picks of the best hedge fund managers. Guess which stock we recommended from the 2018 Sohn New York Conference? Ascendis Pharma (ASND). The stock was trading around $63 at time of Oleg Nodelman’s presentation. By the time I recommended it and our subscribers had time to buy the stock, the share price increased to $65. The stock’s price didn’t move much for several months.

I usually don’t give away my best stock idea but once a year we run a promotion and I give something valuable back to the subscribers who are powering Insider Monkey. Last October we published a free special issue of our monthly newsletter and send our 160,000 subscribers an email with the title “My #1 Top-Ranked Stock in the World”. You can still download the sample issuehere.

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/2019-sohn-conference-new-york-recap-747619/