2018 MidTerm Trends

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, May 26, 2017.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

[​IMG]

A similar situation unfolded in 2009 when three blue-state seats opened up following Obama’s win. The GOP gained ground in each of those special elections (without winning), foreshadowing the 2010 midterms when Republicans picked up 63 seats and took control of the House.

https://www.axios.com/special-election-shifts-2420608909.html

2. exGOPer

exGOPer

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

exGOPer likes this.
  4. jem

jem

house gerrymandering was done by democrats too. it is designed to make sure they have more "minority" seats than they might otherwise have.

when you see that trump dominated the county vote... you realize democrats are all bunched up... without gerrymandering... there is a strong argument they would have even fewer seats.

Let me repeat... its an argument I know there are studies on both sides.
    So don't get all ha ha you lied.

smallfil likes this.
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

All of this gets back to the point that states should have independent commissions that set election district boundaries.

North Carolina Republicans just had the Supreme Court rule against their gerrymandered districts today...
    US Supreme Court tosses NC legislative districts
    http://www.wral.com/us-supreme-cour...stricts-no-special-election-ordered/16743271/

Of course, the Republican excuse for these absurd districts was that the Democrats did the same thing for decades in our state until 2010 (which is true). The bottom line is neither party should be gerrymandering districts for their advantage -- an independent commission should decide boundaries.

Tom B, piezoe and jem like this.
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

piezoe and gwb-trading like this.
  7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Of course,never said otherwise.

8. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

I'll add that I think 2020 will be much different.We will have 2008 enthusiasm and The Democrat will beat Trump worse than Obama beat McCain.Trump will have pissed of the country more in 4 years than Bush did in 8.Republicans will be defending the most seats in the Senate and with the high anti Trump turnout we are taking it back.Good chance of finally taking the House too.

9. Cuddles

Cuddles

This is the hope I have on Repubs. falling in line to oust the guy. Save what little face they can to regain some shred of public appeal. Then again, I thought they were toast w/this guy as their running choice so I've learned not to be surprised by human stupidity anymore.

@9:52

10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Keep dreaming

#10     Jun 6, 2017