2014 World Cup in Brazil

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Aug 11, 2010.

1. August 17, 2010

SouthAmerica: Reply to Joe Paterno

SA: Personally, I don't care for the Olympics. The last time I did watch a little more the Olympics was in the 1980's.

I find the Olympics to be very boring, and I am not interested in most sports that they show in the Olympics.

Joe: Yes, boring sports that the world does not watch, like football, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, skating, skiing, martial arts, wrestling, running, bicycling, tennis, gold, boating, horse events, etc. Is it only Brazil or is it just you that doesn't like the sports followed by the rest of the world?

So you don't like football when Brazil goes and struggles in Olympic football, but you like football when Brazil goes to the World Cup and does better. Mind explaining that in a human language?

SA: I don’t know where – in which country do you watch the Olympics, but here in the USA – NY/NJ Metropolitan area – the coverage of the Olympics is very boring.

Instead of showing the actual games they show the family history of the people who are participating on the Olympics – Why do I need to meet the parents, grandparents, uncles, and friends of all these people? Who cares?

Besides the American Olympic broadcast they don’t show much about soccer, and when they do they quit in the middle of the game to show something else that is going on.

The last Olympic game that I watched was the 1988 in South Korea or something like that – it has been a long time since I have watched the Olympic games.

I am not interested on most sports that they show during the Olympics.

I like soccer in general, American football, and basketball but just when they show the playoff games.

In Brazil, Brazilians watch everything during the Olympics since they have about 5 channels that show the Olympic games 24/7 the entire time of the games.

SA: On the other hand Brazil does very well in the 2 major sports that people watch around the world: 1) Footbal/Soccer , and 2) Auto racing.

Joe: I see. More people watch Auto racing around the world than the Olympics...?

SA: By the way, I am not interested in auto racing as well.

The answer is no. Because Formula–One is a very exclusive and expensive club, and just few countries and people can afford to participate on that type of racing.

On the other hand, you have people from around the world participating on the Olympics, and many of these people participate on obscure sports that most people see these sports only during the Olympic games.

I do like to watch the Olympic soccer games, but here in the US they don’t show most of the games when the United States is not participating on the game.

When you watch the Olympics here in the US – in a way you are watching the US Olympic games. I remember a few Olympics back when the US basketball did not reach the finals – the US Olympic TV coverage did show only the highlights of the final game.

On the other hand, in Brazil people has the chance of watching every event and they see every participating country of our planet. They see a different Olympic game in Brazil, than what we are allowed to watch by American TV coverage here in the old USA.

In Brazil, Brazilians have the chance to watch the entire Olympic games, and in the US we get to watch a soap opera, and for some reason the American broadcasters think that we need to meet everybody involved in the life of every athlete that participates on the Olympic games.

American TV coverage always has to turn every event into show Bizz (song and dance) or into some kind of soap opera.

That’s why I stopped watching the Olympics during the 1980’s.

PS: And don't forget that every new Olympics they make the audience watch more and more commercials.

Today, they show more commercials than ever before - and people are forced to watch one commercial after another with a little Olympic games in between commercials - just enough to keep people interested on the games.

#21     Aug 17, 2010
  2. Hello

Hello

Who on earth could take a sport where players roll on the ground as if their leg is broken when they get tapped.

I dont know what is funnier about the video below, the guy falling in the water, or the subsequent dive from the other player after he gets nudged in the shoulder.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_L4mbK8IjI"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_L4mbK8IjI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object

#22     Aug 17, 2010
  3. Hello

Hello

a

#23     Aug 17, 2010