2014: The Battle for Survival

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Jan 5, 2014.

1. posting does keep one accountable.
    Did Neke explain what were the rationals for him to delay posting till the account get back to 200k?

#511     Jan 7, 2017
  2. southall

southall

A few years back he stopped posting when he fell below 100K.

Now he calls 200K the 'new poverty line' and wont post while his account balance is below that level.

From that i get the impression he thinks he has fallen on hard times ie. 'poverty' in his trading account, and doesn't want to post until he feels richer. I think neke has a job so the money in his trading account doesn't define his income and future earnings.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    #512     Jan 7, 2017
  3. When he fell below 100K: did he go for a job?
    Interesting : does it mean he is only willing to post when he feels richer? aka his feelings of poverty blocks him from posting? is posting linked to his sense of self-worth? thus , why is he really trading, and in psychological terms, why is he really losing?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    #513     Jan 7, 2017
  4. southall

southall

As far as i know Neke never quit his job.
    Big drawdowns are very hard emotionally. I can understand why he doesnt want to post.
    We all have levels in our trading account balance that if we fall below it begins to hurt bad..

#514     Jan 7, 2017
  5. We can all share this type of difficult situation. Myself, when I once lost 6 fig, I stayed alseep, with no movements for 2 days in a row ( talk about real fasting) just in front of my then computers. This just to numb the shock. So I understand the difficulties of a severe drawdown. Obviously a lot of "personal work on psychology/mindset/spirituality" then took place to remove the negative unseen psychological consequences.

So now, is Neke 's not posting when he is in a drawdown linked to his feelings of self-worth?
    why does posting when he loses so painful? does it mean that posting when he wins is a pleasure : if so, what is the nature of this pleasure ( look at me? ). If he never quitted his job, normally he should have had promotions, and his salary increasing: in total in his trading life, has he been profitable?

#515     Jan 7, 2017

6. Get off his nuts....he'll post when he feels the need to do so.

#516     Jan 7, 2017
  7. algofy

algofy

Agree

#517     Jan 7, 2017
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Obviously I am the only one who remembers:

So it might take a couple of months...

#518     Jan 7, 2017
  9. My mea culpa for questionning Neke's time scales.
    It was not meant to be harmful. I suppose when one has done quiet a lot of psychology/mindset/spirituality, one often questions what is behind a given behaviour, what are the pychological/mindset/spiritual drivers behind a behaviour. However, my way of wondering did lack graciousness and understanding. So mea culpa, and my sincere apologies to Neke mostly.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    #519     Jan 8, 2017
  10. neke

neke

Probably 50-50. The greatest damage has come from the doubling down - yes, i have doubled down also on losses on trades that were initiated 'with the trend'. You might say the initial entry was trend, but of course the doubling down is counter-trend (at least the short-term trend). Lost 62K on options for the year (and made 26K on stocks for a net loss of 42K for the year). If I took the cumulative percentage gain on options, I see 1299% based on first entry/last exit prices, yet ended the year with a loss.

By cumulative percentage, I mean this. buy long option, first entry @ 1.00 , sell last exit @ 1.50, that is +50%. Sum that (positive and negative) across all option trades, it came to 1299%. So it is not even a question of lack of edge on the trade, it is the compulsive doubling down.

#520     Jan 8, 2017