2014: The Battle for Survival

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Less liquidity has caused more tricky trading and patternless trading. There is less volume and rotation. All this making it harder to read the markets. Just read some threads from guys on this forum who have been here since 02

#31     Feb 15, 2014
  2. jsmith

jsmith

I've noticed the same correlation also. Neke's best performance periods have been during high volatility and declines in the market.

Neke will recover.

#32     Feb 15, 2014
  3. sp2020

sp2020

Neke, you are amazing. I am new to trading. I have $40,000 cash, I hope to make $2000 per month.
    Your result surely gives me some hope.

May I ask you if you are equities trader or both option/equities?
    What is your edge to such an amazing result? What indicators do you use...do you use fundamental analysis or strictly charts?
    Can you share your expertise, I am very thankful.

#33     Feb 15, 2014
  4. Your trading to much size, u should be risking only 1-5% of your capital on any given trade

#34     Feb 15, 2014
  5. You are reading a journal entitled: "The battle for Survival", which follows on the heels of the journal entitled: "Rebuilding my battered account" (which didn't) and this result gives you hope?

#35     Feb 16, 2014
  6. what is it with this 'per month' nonsense? At least it's not the usual 'per day' nonsense. You really need to think bigger than trading in 5% increments.

#36     Feb 16, 2014
  7. identify the best entry point for a short in this chart:

[​IMG]

#37     Feb 16, 2014
  8. neke

neke

And how often does a stock give basically a flat guidance, opens up 10%, runs to close the day, up +39% with no noticeable pullback? I keep scratching my head trying to find a reason for this mad move.

Of course it is no justification for initiating a trade outside my system, or averaging until I ran out of money. It also seems any time I am at home there is bound to be a move like this that entices me. Do those things happen all the time, or I am just so unlucky?

I am thinking and planning hard how to remove the ability to shut-down my system, even at home.

• Cray.png
      Cray.png
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
    #38     Feb 17, 2014
  9. Mo06

Mo06

" I keep scratching my head trying to find a reason for this mad move. "

Markets move because they have to. Traders/investors caught on the wrong side.

Look at the volume on CRAY on Friday, 4.8m on a stock which normally trades a tenth of that or less.

Sorry to read about your loss though. As they say, **** happens.

#39     Feb 17, 2014
  10. Mo06

Mo06

"NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cray Inc. (CRAY_) shares are soaring after the supercomputer developer reported fourth-quarter and full-year earnings well above consensus.

By early afternoon, shares had exploded 37.7% to $41.28. Trading volume of 2.8 million was nearly seven times its three-month daily average.

Over fiscal 2013, the company posted total sales of $525.7 million, a 25% year-over-year increase. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast sales of $525.75 million.

Full-year net income of 76 cents a share was a dime higher than consensus.

In the three months to December, the Seattle-based company recorded net income of $1.48 a share on revenue 62% higher year over year to $307.7 million. Analysts had predicted per-share earnings of $1.36 on $300.56 million in sales.

"We had a great year in 2013, led by strong growth in both supercomputing and big data," said CEO Peter Ungaro in a statement. "We set company records for annual and quarterly revenue as we completed the acceptance of more supercomputers during the fourth quarter than we have in any quarter in our history."

For fiscal 2014, management anticipates revenue around $600 million. Analyst consensus is for 87 cents a share in net income and $599.25 million in sales.

TheStreet Ratings team rates CRAY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. The team has this to say about their recommendation:

"We rate CRAY INC (CRAY) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."

#40     Feb 17, 2014