2014: The Battle for Survival

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Jan 5, 2014.

1. d08

d08

Ackman isn't a fair comparison as he is dealing with billions of dollars, a different game altogether. He needs days to accumulate a position while neke can most likely be in and out within 1 or 2 minutes.
    You don't need to take very high risks to achieve very high returns if you have an edge, that's the whole point. Otherwise you could just buy an index with a lot of leverage.

However, I do commend neke for putting up his results as consistently as he does and he deserves a lot of respect for that.
    Happy new year.

#331     Jan 1, 2016
  2. d08,
    since the beginning of time...risk and reward levels are correlated. -- no one has really been ever to deviate from that basic law.

The Birth of the Speculator (2009)

Happy New Year 2016, d08

#332     Jan 1, 2016
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

The Vix has been quite high in the last year. When volatility increase one can reduce size to achieve the same result. When size is reduced, so is exposure. So yes, when volatility is high one doesn't need to take as big risk to produce the same profits.

What I don't understand when posters here are crying about criticism?When someone publicly posts personal results, he knows that it would invite all kind of comments. Obviously if criticism (which by the way has been constructive) bothered Neke, he would have stopped this journal long time ago.

So stop whining about criticism...Very unmanly...

#333     Jan 1, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  4. d08

d08

If this is the case then why trade at all? Might as well buy the SPY.
    The whole point is to achieve market beating returns while having lower drawdown.
    I thought this is basic knowledge in a trading forum.

#334     Jan 1, 2016
  5. I agree, d08
    That's where the skill is in trading...maximizing profit potential, and minimizing drawdowns. -- I guess I was kind of generalizing. :banghead:
    For the masses who don't know or realize this...then you could say they are gambling in the market. But for the skilled trader...the gambling aspect of it greatly diminishes, while profit rises. :cool:

#335     Jan 1, 2016
  6. Visaria

Visaria

I thought the point of trading was a) to survive and b) get rich!

What the market return is each calendar year, whether negative or positive, is probably just random anyway....dunno why everyone is so keen on beating this randomly generated number!

#336     Jan 2, 2016
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Because it's a sign simple relatively low risk investable alternative.

#337     Jan 2, 2016
  8. neke

neke

Less than 100% return with 55% draw-down (SPY) over the last 10 years. Not sure that is low-risk. Try and add leverage to that and see how it would have worked out with the draw-down.

#338     Jan 2, 2016
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

For easily investible equity risk, it's low risk.

#339     Jan 2, 2016
  10. neke

neke

For 2016, I am setting a "modest" target of 100K (50%). I am distributing them among the strategies as follows. The painful end to last year means confidence is very low right now, and I cannot set ambitious targets.

2016target.png

#340     Jan 5, 2016
    jajuanm2 likes this.