2014: The Battle for Survival

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Jan 5, 2014.

1. "The Brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"... Richard Branson

Neke.. Your braveness is uncommon but is necessary to get above average results. Problem is many see recklessness instead.. then again was Soros brave or reckless? The fine line between the two is if you manage the downside when the head goes crazy a little bit.

#171     Nov 30, 2014
  2. kubek

kubek

how can you be up/down 100k when your whole account reads 300k..looks like your money management is screwed...

#172     Dec 7, 2014
  3. southall

southall

Neke really doesnt do money management, he is a bit like Jesse Livermore, and has wild swings in his equity.

#173     Dec 7, 2014
  4. neke

neke

Remind me again, what is 'Money Management'? :confused::confused::confused: I'm managing my own money. No???

#174     Dec 8, 2014
  5. NoDoji

NoDoji

Mrs. Language Person would like to interpret "money management is screwed" to have meant "risk management is skewed".

Mrs. Language Person would also like to respond to that poster by loosely quoting the ever-revered Warren Buffet: "If you can't handle a 40% drawdown you shouldn't be in the market."

:D

Keep on growing those green crops, Neke! ;)

#175     Dec 8, 2014
  6. I have always wondered if Warren was referring to position or Account draw-down? I think Munger actually mentioned 50% on Youtube..

#176     Dec 8, 2014
  7. k p

k p

That's a good point actually.... Warren does actually say to also preserve capital, no? Isn't this rule number one? I can see this making sense in terms of a position, but a 40% drawdown on the entire account would be huge.

#177     Dec 8, 2014
  8. blakpacman

blakpacman

Neke's back!

#178     Dec 25, 2014
  9. I been saying for years Neke was one of the best traders on this site and people just laughed. You are not going to see big gains without big drawdowns. The less you risk per trade the smaller your gains will be .

#179     Dec 25, 2014
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Graham and Dodd investors don't see drawdowns as real. They see them as buying opportunities IF their fundamental thesis hadn't changed. Beekshire made some of its biggest investments in 2009 when their stock portfolio was down 30% and they were about to be downgraded because of their derivatives bet.

#180     Dec 25, 2014