200k in savings account... Earning a low 3.20%... What do to...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Comptalk, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Thanks, but not looking for Internet banks. Most of the major banks have additional insurance above the FDIC limit. That is not a concern.

#11     Mar 26, 2007
  2. No. Only if all the accounts fall in different ownership categories, such as single, joint, retirement, trust. FDIC coverage is limited to $100,000 per owner (a person, persons or an entity), per member bank.

#12     Mar 26, 2007
  3. I think that's what he was trying to say but he didn't phrase it well. He's basically suggesting to open accounts at different banks to increase FDIC insurance

#13     Mar 26, 2007
  4. There are brick and mortar banks that offer rates close to what Internet banks offer. They often have a "Special Internet MM Rate" if you apply online and link it to your checking.

If 3.2% is the best you can do, I don't think you've searched very hard. Even some brokers pay more in their MMA.

#14     Mar 26, 2007
  5. Woz2000

Woz2000

Seems to me you have basically made up your mind already... you've rejected every suggestion for no really any valid reason.

Your original post mentioned that you did not trust internet banks. Do you really think Citi or HSBC is an internet bank? They have internet versions of their account where the access is through the internet, but they are definately B&M and have all their resources behind their internet accounts.

#15     Mar 26, 2007