2008 Portfolio-Stoney Style*

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Alright not a good start boys and gals manufacturing data squash us & employment report coming Friday to be very scared of. ideally we start investing next week but who can wait?

AIXG AIXTRON AKTIENGESELLSCHAF.. 14.80 +0.80 (+5.71%) 49,830

MLNM MILLENNIUM PHARMACEUTICAL.. 16.205 +1.225 (+8.18%) 3,242,849

Ok so first off we see the nice volume on MLNM, this is good- this gets bumped up into the portfolio now!
    BUY @ $16.

Next nice move in AIGX despite group downgrade by Bank Of America... this is now a RS story as well as a chart story as well as a nice interesting company (with a nanotech division)... Right on the fence....

Surprise Landec reports tomorrow after the close! So if we believe the stuff we type I have to take a stab at this despite in languishing today down 20 cents... An earnings play, small cap, am I just asking for it?

Also I see continued strength in a name I haven't fully researched it's a biotech that sells a protein that's about all I know but it's threatening to scream up the totem pole- I may just close my eyes and take a stab with RGEN @ $6.75....

Somewhere in there are the moves of the day.
    ~stoney

#11     Jan 2, 2008
  2. Alright god help me I'm in on Landec @ $13.08 not bad considering it was $13.50 over the weekend... market tanking and one can lay low in an unknown name (I hope) and a bit of good news Thursday after the close would lead to an interesting Friday for me if the jobs number was to cooperate. This is not a good trade folks for a number of reasons. One, it relies on a earnings beat which I have no idea weather it is coming or not. 2) The next tradable day could be a very volatile day either way... so if they puke the number and then jobs # sucks, well you won't be hearing from me for a while... Then again the chart looks fine to me I like EXACTLY where it is resting and there looks to be a MACD cross over but who knows? It's a crap shoot 700 LNDC done. Trade 1.

Trade 2? Very good fund manager was on TV today and had SLT as a top pick so if LNDC works out.... perfect flip on a strong economy number (I hope).... tricky.

~stoney

#12     Jan 2, 2008
  3. Happy Thursday!

Lets take a RS look at our portfolio in light of an over 200 point drop and 40 or so on the Nazdog, you would think for my penchant for picking volatile up stocks I would be in some trouble after releasing these picks... but no as we have proved over and over what we do is protect downside as much as upside you will see now the incredible power of this portfolio-

CPTC $1.35 to $1.42

TRN Flat @ $27.50

AMSC Flat @ $27.50

SLT Flat @ $26 (coincidence all these $26-$27 stks? Or not?)

EJ Flat @ $24

ELON Gap up $21 to $22

AIXG Gap up $14 to $15

FSIN $24-$24.50.....

How is that possible? What in the stoned system is both a momentum trigger AND a RS indicator???? Can you have your cake and eat it too? Ok, we have established that in Puke institution selling days the big boys are not picking on our portfolio so we can now ASSUME that when the market takes off, if it does, these stocks will levitate faster than those starting the year off with a negative comp.

For today we notice that AIXG has been added to a naked short list with Fushi, never sure what that means- shorted shares have not been delivered... good or bad? We shall see. I'm looking at CTDC. This am, yet another solar play
    and probably entering our German play AIXG... would like to go with SLT but continued worries over Pakistan is keeping me away (for now). Also caught a boo boo yesterday, already owned WAVE must be on this list too!
    ~stoney

#13     Jan 3, 2008
  4. Oh man weird day new lows way ahead of new highs it just feels wrong. yet look at the volitility that's supposed to be happening, yesterday it just was not there as measured by the VIX what does that mean- no fear. Plus all the lemmings talked into the volatility t trade may be in for a big flatline.

Ok I went for a partial on the Indian copper SLT play. I also for some reason really want to buy VSE verasun, I've sent the idea up the food chain (again) let's see if they get back to me. I'm liking the way SYNA in trading. Of course I already own it above this price but for all of you lucky to not have that problem it's trending well. Wave... wow what a battle are you watching this? This stock and $6 are quite at odds with each other look at the attempts 4 of them over a long stretch... when it does finally get through... like a knife through butter I imagine. I've got an order in under the market on AMSC very nice move today and that AIXG has me perplexed. Look at the chart. Two consecutive gap ups... or are they? It's an ADR are these just delayed pops from DAX action? And if so from which day? Right on the fence here... There's another stock I'm hawking it's hiding in my wife';s IRA CRDC, Cardiaca just an ET feeling but watch this one, I am.... There's a part of me that thinks these solar plays turn over here, not chasing. (If I were CTDC is the one) What else? Oh yes, Learning Tree LTRE...
    kind of liking this one too, another weird stock I'm tracking. peace. ~ stoney

#14     Jan 3, 2008
  5. Ok that was quick the analyst is STILL on vacation. I took a 1/2 in VeraSun but in my big boy account which means it's a pretty large amount.~si

PS Landec update. The interday today will make you cry a great rally early afternoon wiped away flat line now... gave up 50 cents and more not happy... all I can say is for every buyer there has been a damn seller. We must do something at earnings to break their resolve. How dare they! The gaul!!!

#15     Jan 3, 2008
  6. wake37

wake37

Stoney = money!!!!!!!! thanks. keep it up.:eek: :eek: :eek:

#16     Jan 3, 2008
  7. Here's a thought. People are pushing a thin tape down on purpose so they can put all their money to work at better price points thus getting them a year-beginning jump on the averages. Hummm.

The S&P is below the 76% retracement line at 1450 and that suggests a likely breach of 1435 in the long run-Cycle-wise, the negative momentum peak is on Friday the 4th with the cycles actually turning higher on Monday the 7th. The potential for the downside momentum to run its course by the end of the week is very high based on the longer-term cycle. The next momentum cycle peak is on the 21st, so there is a large window ahead for market strength!!! RALLY NEXT WEEK TILL THE 21st!!!
    ~stoney

#17     Jan 3, 2008
  8. Ok as I feared LNDC is down after earnings. I just read them they seem up & fine but there must be something wrong vs estimates. Nice 10% hit in the pants- this is somewhat mitigated by a nice daytrade today on the name but a more clever fellow would have played this different- a bull bear spread of some sort in which in todays afternoon weakness he would have gone short... can't lose if you're long and short! lets hope they save this at 11:00 conference call... Otherwise we may have to hold for a while or take the quick hit

On a cheerier note QSC from our Sexy Stock Thread is attracting volume and looks poised to break out. We will be looking into adding that to this portfolio fri.

~stoney

PS here's the miss on the revenue side $2 mil!
    Landec reported a rise in second-quarter profit, matching Wall Street view, helped by lower expenses, but revenue missed analysts' expectations.
    The maker of temperature-activated and other specialty polymer products posted a profit of $3.1 million, or 12 cents a share, compared with $108,000, or breakeven, a year ago.

Lets take a breath> If my business did $108K last year and $3.1 mil this I'd be dancing on the f*ing moon.... but this is the street... let's continue.

Revenue rose 7 percent to $59 million.

Analysts on average expected the company to earn 12 cents a share, on revenue of $61.3 million, according to Reuters Estimates.

Is this just over eager analysts or a corporate misfire? Or both. The underlying trends seem fine here but those sound like famous last words.

#18     Jan 3, 2008
  9. See, I wasnt trying to be mean or bash with the short comment, but I know a little about LNDC. I was just trying to be realistic and show you the light. LNDC=short short short

#19     Jan 3, 2008
  10. How about substituting LNDC and throwing in WU, CSUN, or SMCI?

WU is a nice mid-term play. I dont believe it will be an instant throw up to the 30s, but over a 6-9 month period it will probably get there. I bought 650 shares yesterday doubling down in my longer term account.

CSUN is another good one that analysts bashed all last year and now it appears we have some surf.

SMCI is a little known unheard of play that has had nothing but bullish news, however, it appears they will present at the Needham conference very very soon which has always proven bullish. When SFLY presented, they gapped up and up and up last year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071210/20071210006093.html?.v=1

#20     Jan 3, 2008