2007 Summer internship UPDATE

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bigbrent701, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

Its been a long time since i posted about my internship on this forum and thought it would be time to post an update.

Over the past 6 months I have made steps towards making my goal of trading for a firm a reality. The first thing that I did was finally get a resume together, while i am constantly looking for ways to improve this its nice to know i can quickly get a resume out if i ever spot an opportunity. I also have several cover letters that fit a specific position. In total I probably applied to about 30 different firms ranging from Investment banks, market makers, prop firms, CTAs, brokerages, and hedge funds. The results

2 interviews
    1? offer

Since I dont go to a target school and because my gpa is not the greatest I am at a HUGE disadvantage to the rest of the field. While a lot of people say that gpa doesnt matter it does, its one of the easiest ways to employers to screen out applicants.

I have also focused on making as many contacts with people in power as possible. With so many studies pointing to the way people get jobs these days it really isnt what you know but WHO you know.

My advise, have a game plan and START EARLY. I started the entire process in november. I plan on starting even earlier for the next summer. My next piece of advise is to become comfortable speaking with complete strangers, my best sucess came from the firms where i spoke with people. I did not have ANY sucess with the mass mailing of resumes. Bottom line, get the people in charge on the phone and let them know you are interested.

I am still getting into my comfort zone as far as speaking with total strangers on the phone but the process does get easier with time so stick with it!

2. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

Network, find out where these people go and do, aside from Trading,

My mother has always said, "it is not what you know half the time but who you know."

Get creative, and something will work for you.

Also, Go to Wealth Expo's great place to speak with people in person.

Best of Luck to you,

Just some food for thought.

Sincerely,

JC

JCBLESS@aol.com

3. You should also look into the opportunities career services provide. Most schools have career fairs, including summer positions, where companies come to your college and recruit students. This is one of the best ways to network while still in school. Find something that will make you stand out from the others and play it up, especially if it’s not your GPA. Also, some of the counselors at career services have hook ups and if you approach them the right way, they should be willing to set you up or at least help you. Use the resources available to you and be persistent. Good luck :)

4. Maryland is not a target school for trading. It does get a little recognition for the back office roles though. I am pretty active at the career fairs and when speakers come to give presentations. Honestly we dont have the best to pick from since we are not a tier 1 school.

5. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

GO to Grad School,

Pick a Rank Top 10 Business School,
    Grad School Trumps all.

:D

6. hahaha ME GRAD SCHOOL. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NOTTT interested. Ill work a whatever job, save up a stake and trade the YM and equity options before i go to grad school. hahahaha, god 2 more years of school is just plain scarry!

7. Grad school has little, if anything to do with the "school" bit, and everything to do with the bajillion things you do while attending.

And you just schedule courses to trade the YM in the morning :)

8. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

Grad School, is a great way to network with class mates, and once you become Alumni, it is like being high school buddies with
    alot more folks that have connections. It is like having a foot in the door, just because you went to the same school as them.

Just take a look at it, would be worth while. Like Fruit said,
    Take Night classes, or weekend classes, and trade in the morning time. Worth taking a look at. Nothing scaring, I would rather go to
    Grad school, then 4 years at a college. Grad school is alot more concentrated, find one where they trade I know at UNC-Chapel Hill they had a Trading room, with monitors and CNBC on TV's in four corners of the room. Some food for thought...

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/00/

9. What's with the question mark? Did you get one or not? And if so, congrats, are you taking it?

10. Since you are local, George Washington for grad school in finance, overcomes any shortcoming you think you had in college and puts you in front of all the right people for job hiring. classes are at nights or on weekends so no trading interference and a master's gives you more credibility with certain employers if your college and less than stellar GPA does not. Many firms looking for traders grab them right out of college and train them but if you cannot make that first cut you need another angle.

Grad school is not required but if you cannot make the leap, then it will cross many bridges for you. If you dont think it is true, talk to people in charge at hiring at investment banks and trading firms and ask them their opinion on someone from X school and such and such GPA v. same person now with a Masters degree in Finance (NOT an MBA) and who did well. I have heard it makes a huge difference.

Although I am biased :)

#10     Apr 30, 2007