2006 from 100K to 266K, 2007 3.5 months from 266K to 360K

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by qll, Apr 10, 2007.

1. vjay

vjay

congrats on your profits. However, a week ago you posted about getting a maintenance call because 70% of your holdings were in one stock. You say you have borrowed 200k and also borrow 300k on margin. This is a recipe for disaster as even the best have gotten caught by unforseen circumstances.
    I'm making the assumption that you just started trading in 06 as you didn't give your trading experience.
    There's nothing wrong with using leverage but if you're rather new to trading you had better study up on money management and position sizing. If I assumed wrong about your trading experience perhaps you can give us a few tips.
    I hope you're still here at the end of 07 posting comparable results

#11     Apr 10, 2007
  2. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

So you started with $500k, turned it into $100k, then to $266k, now to $360k?

Man that takes fortitute to have $500k on credit. Godspeed, qll.

#12     Apr 10, 2007
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

one you bleed the dumb money out of these it's time to move on to the next victim..eh, stock. :D

#13     Apr 10, 2007
  4. For discretionary traders,

You'll need a longer track record and some background in a large firm would help.

Try joining an institution to spice up your background. After a few successful years, you'll be ready to go on your own.

It doesn't help when you have a 4-5 line background info in your PPM like:

Mr. XXX XXXX has 2 years experience as a retail trader. Mr. XXXX graduated from ZZZZZZ University, Class of 199y. He has been profitable consistantly returning xxx% for 200x and yyy% for 200y. He has a traded US. futures, US equities and Chinese products, successfully. He is a good trader, a dedicated father and very professional.

#14     Apr 10, 2007
  5. Lose the debt.

When the market turns south it will be like an anchor tied to your neck.

Forget other people. Trying to manage other people's money would be a headache. The position sizes would need to be huge, and you won't be able to get in or out easily, so if something goes sour, you are trapped.

Trade for yourself and keep all the profits.

#15     Apr 10, 2007
  6. qll

qll

i started in 1997. from 1997 to 2003. nothing much, loss and win. until the end of 2003, my holdings went private, then i got a lot of cash to start invest again.

2007 is so far a good year. i made 100-110k in us stocks, lost $100k in chinese futures and earned $60k in chinese stocks.

if you are in my shoes, keep ALLLLLLL stocks double every 3 months in china, you will know my feeling. MAKING as much as possible before market takes away profit. If I can make 100% now and loss 20% later, it is better than making 30% safe money.

#16     Apr 11, 2007
  7. qll

qll

who are you? do you know me?

haha

i can get in large firms, but the only opennings are brokers == salesman. all good positions like trading desks and i-banking are only for related people with connections here.

i recently get to know a lady, her brother is the head of a small security firm. she get inside information from him. so far every tip is accurate. about 50% every month. i didn't use those tips, because most tips are purely "the big guys will push this stock up. buy it". when i ask if there is any reason for pushing the price up, like growth, news? the answer was "No, just buy it!"

#17     Apr 11, 2007

8. you mention you are trading in china
    Buy and hold in the shanghai stock exchange would have netted about 200% in the last few years.

From my point of view, any short term trading strategy which does not beat the index your trading in by at least 1 standard deviation is just not worth the effort and teh risk. You might as well leverage 3:1 and buy - hold.

If those returns where made on tradign US indices, then that is an excellent return

#18     Apr 11, 2007
  9. Honestly, I am unimpressed. A simple double/triple beta (leveraging) of the market during this bull run = these kind of numbers.

I am only impressed by traders who do well in flat markets, AND/OR those whose longs and shorts BOTH consistently make $$$

Otherwise, *yawn*

#19     Apr 11, 2007
  10. These figures are good but (a) as you are trading a very small amount you have not run into liquidity problems that could hit once you get more money and (b) you do not say which market you made the money in. Making money in, say, the dot.com bubble was easy - and the same goes for Chinese markets recently!

Suss

#20     Apr 11, 2007