2001-2010 warmest decade on record: WMO

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Well luckily most people are not as intentionally and obstinately ignorant as you are, so there is some hope.

I was at the conveyor belt yesterday and saw your brain go by so I threw it in the paper bin. It was the most appropriate place.

Actually I don't work at a recycling center and I didn't see your brain. It is still missing.

#61     Mar 28, 2012
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Apparently they ARE, that's how we ended up with Odumbo.

#62     Mar 28, 2012
  3. No, most people are ignorant but not intentionally so. That's what makes 377's case so sad. He could choose to learn but it would conflict with his pre-existing ideology and what he thinks he knows causing cognitive dissonance. Thus he intentionally stays ignorant to save his ego, and that's worse than just being ignorant. This is true of many AGW deniers.

#63     Mar 28, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

And ALL Obama supporters.

#64     Mar 28, 2012
  5. dis

dis

Talk about lies, damned lies and statistics. One cannot draw a statistically valid conclusion from 16 datapoints.

#65     Mar 28, 2012
  6. wut?

#66     Mar 28, 2012
  7. jem

jem

Interesting article... but no real link showing that the CO2 released caused the warming. there were numerous other potential drivers.

In fact I did not even see them state that the CO2 rose before the temperature rose... did you?

Here is some of the interesting speculation from your link....

today investigators think the PETM unfolded something like this: As is true of
    our current climate crisis, the PETM began, in a sense, with the burning of fossil
    fuels. At the time the supercontinent Pangaea was in the final stages of breaking
    up, and the earth’s crust was ripping apart, forming the northeastern Atlantic Ocean. As a result, huge volumes of molten rock
    and intense heat rose up through the landmass that encompassed Europe and Greenland, baking carbon-rich sediments
    and perhaps even some coal and oil near the surface. The baking
    sediments, in turn, released large doses of two strong greenhouse
    gases, carbon dioxide and methane. Judging by the enormous
    volume of the eruptions, the volcanoes probably accounted for
    an initial buildup of greenhouse gases on the order of a few hundred petagrams of carbon, enough to raise global temperature by
    a couple of degrees. But most analyses, including ours, suggest it
    took something more to propel the PETM to its hottest point.
    A second, more intense warming phase began when the volcano-induced heat set other types of gas release into motion.
    Natural stirring of the oceans ferried warmth to the cold seabed,
    where it apparently destabilized vast stores of frozen methane
    hydrate deposits buried within. As the hydrates thawed, methane gas bubbled up to the surface, adding more carbon into the
    atmosphere. Methane in the atmosphere traps heat much more
    effectively than CO2
    does, but it converts quickly to CO2
    . Still, as
    long as the methane release continued, elevated concentrations

#67     Mar 29, 2012
  8. Eight

Eight

do people get it that you have to enlarge one continent by 40% to make that Pangaea thingy fit together?

Speculation presented as fact is just utterly rampant nowadays...

Look at any existing continent and the shape it would be if you expanded it's size but let the topology of the Oceans floors decide the shape.. you wouldn't recognize any of the continents if you did that!

#68     Mar 29, 2012
  9. You're hopeless with this science stuff. The whole premise of the article is that the large release of CO2 caused the warming.

#69     Mar 29, 2012