2001-2010 warmest decade on record: WMO

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, Mar 26, 2012.

1. From the above article "What is happening to global temperatures in reality? The answer is: almost nothing for more than 10 years."

This is like a a game of whack-a-mole.......

Listen, we're traders right? We know about charts. We know how on a volatile chart we can often pick two points separated by long periods that are the same level. This can occur even within a larger scale uptrend. This is what is going on here in just another example of these cherry picked points that is a favorite method of disinformation that deniers use. The average person can be fooled by this. As traders we should not be. (see chart in linked window below) The fact that Mr. Happer (who the hell is he?) would use this intentionally deceptive statement is reprehensible and immediate grounds for shunning his entire argument.

The indisputable fact is that 2000 to 2010 was the warmest on an instrumental record going back almost two hundred years and 2011 was the warmest year. See the charts in this link...

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

#41     Mar 27, 2012
  2. Arnie

Arnie

You mean charts like this?

[​IMG]

#42     Mar 27, 2012
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

LOL, a wheelbarrow of horseshit. You are a joke and fit only for sorting garbage at the recycling center. Now we all know that enviromental science is a compete farce.

#43     Mar 27, 2012
  4. Looks like an uptrend to me. Even during an ElNina period where cooler temps are expected. "In 2011, on a global scale, La Niña events helped keep the average global temperature below recent trends"

See here for a more comprehensive look at temps.http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

#44     Mar 27, 2012
  5. Well you are full of blanket dismissal statements but never have anything to back it up. I show facts and you call it horseshit. Something smells here and it ain't me. You are perhaps the most pathetic example of rigid, closed-minded, ideological based non-thinking I have ever seen. You are one of those people who say "I'll NEVER believe in AGW. Pathetic.

#45     Mar 27, 2012
  6. What I do has no relevance to the science and facts of AGW. The fact that you assume I do nothing is quite amusing and informative of your psychosis.

I don't recall you asking what I want. Take your meds and calm down!

I simply want to counter the disinformation about AGW that is coming out of the corporate funded denial machine and educate the readers. As someone who has a degree in the field I feel it is my civic duty to do so. So sue me.

Plus I like to see my prose on the screen and show off what I know to boost my ego.

#46     Mar 27, 2012
  7. Global Warming Close to Becoming Irreversible
    The world is close to reaching tipping points that will make it irreversibly hotter, making this decade critical in efforts to contain global warming, scientists warned on Monday.

LONDON (Reuters) - The world is close to reaching tipping points that will make it irreversibly hotter, making this decade critical in efforts to contain global warming, scientists warned on Monday.

Scientific estimates differ but the world's temperature looks set to rise by six degrees Celsius by 2100 if greenhouse gas emissions are allowed to rise uncontrollably.

As emissions grow, scientists say the world is close to reaching thresholds beyond which the effects on the global climate will be irreversible, such as the melting of polar ice sheets and loss of rainforests.

TIPPING POINTS

For ice sheets - huge refrigerators that slow down the warming of the planet - the tipping point has probably already been passed, Steffen said. The West Antarctic ice sheet has shrunk over the last decade and the Greenland ice sheet has lost around 200 cubic km (48 cubic miles) a year since the 1990s.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=global-warming-close-to-becoming-ir

#47     Mar 27, 2012
  8. jem

jem

Referring to the chart.
    And I made a living off charts for about 6 years...
    I would never take that trade. its seems to be bouncing around. It is consolidating.

Looks like a minor insignificant uptrend with recent downtrend around a fairly steady mean.

All of it noise until you show that CO2 accumulation causes warming.
    Which to date would be impossible because in our history warming precedes CO2 accumulation.

As far as a trade goes... you would have to look at a much longer term chart... and then see if there is a reason to take a guess at a new direction or sit on the sidelines and look for easier trades.

If you are guessing for a breakout... it seems to me the top factor to consider is whether the sun will be causing the warming or not. (similar to anticipating accelerating earnings because of new technology or management. Or new publicity)

#48     Mar 27, 2012
  9. rew

rew

There are no carbon taxes in the United States, or in most of the other places in the world, particularly where carbon emissions are increasing most rapidly, such as China and India. Europe is putting carbon taxes on airline fuel, and China is fighting it tooth and nail, blocking Airbus orders in retaliation. Cap and trade is in place in some countries but even there it's a joke because big free carbon allotments are always given to the biggest carbon producers. (If you want the most politicized possible approach to reducing greenhouse gasses, support Cap and Trade.)

What small cars? I still see Americans buying giant SUVs and pick up trucks to get their groceries and commute to work. Then they whine about $4 a gallon gas. When I was a child Americans had bigger families and smaller cars.

Solar power and wind power, aside from being uneconomic, produce only a trivial fraction of our electricity. Most still comes from burning coal or natural gas. Some comes from nuclear power, which produces no greenhouse gasses but does from time to time make an area the size of Delaware uninhabitable.

There is ample evidence that human caused global warming is real. There is even more evidence that the costs of preventing this are so high, and the willingness of the public to incur those costs so low, that nothing of significance will be done about it. The conservatives will keep insisting that those evil climate scientists are liars and frauds, no matter how much evidence piles up, and the liberals will continue to fail to own up to the real costs of completely overhauling modern, overwhelmingly fossil fuel dependent, economies.

So the planet is fucked. Only fools are optimists.

#49     Mar 27, 2012
  10. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Metropolis-Smaller-Driving-Sustainability/dp/1594488827

Good book, that basically agrees with everything you posted, despite what you might think from the title.
    The only significant drop in CO2 emissions since records started being kept was in the early 90's, and you can trace that to the collapse of communism, which shut down scads of uneconomic and highly polluting factories in Eastern Europe. Once they began to recover, CO2 emissions growth resumed its steady and increasingly parabolic growth.
    As this book points out, the only countries that met their CO2 targets with ease were - the Eastern European countries, because of that economic collapse.

#50     Mar 27, 2012