2000 v XP

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by stevet, Mar 24, 2002.

1. XP is short for experimental, isnt it?

#11     Mar 26, 2002
  2. stevet

stevet

nope! - expired

#12     Mar 26, 2002
  3. I moved to XP and am happy with it. I increased my RAM to 256 megs and now my machine seems to run much faster. Have not had problems.

#13     Mar 27, 2002
  4. stevet

stevet

activetrader

upgrading the ram would help to make your machine run faster - did you upgrade the ram at exactly the same time as you moved to XP - so in other words - did the machine seem to get quicker just moving to XP - or are you none the wiser as you upgraded the ram at the same time - what operating system were you using before?

#14     Mar 27, 2002
  5. DblArrow

DblArrow

I am using XP, only 2 monitors, and only 3 chart windows, with about 20 charts, trading platform, watch and listen to Bloomberg over the net, have 4-6 browsers open and a couple misc programs; I have 640 mb of ram and that is more than I need. I have a peice of software from the MB maker (ASUS) that measures the the ram usage and I have never been above 60%.

After adding the ram the system did not seem to run faster, started with 256 and then moved to 640. The only thing I noticed when adding the ram - the OS used much more of it! I had a few problems with 2000 and have not had them with XP. I dislike MS in general but am happy with XP.

#15     Mar 27, 2002
  6. Are there any issues with adding additional video cards and multimonitors with XP? I recall reading somewhere when it came out that too many plug and play changes would trigger a shut down.

I hav a few problems with 2000. Occasionally, I get a notification that I am low on virtual mem. It is very reluctant to shut down. I have had terrible problems with a couple of programs like QCharts and NexTrend although RT runs fine. I never chased down the QCharts/NexTrend issue, as I run it on another system but it setup the application then when I tried to run it, just refused to display anything but indicated the program was running. So im my experience, 2000 is no panacea.

#16     Mar 27, 2002
  7. I also had some problems with 2000 and am back to using 98. It is not the total solution for sure.

#17     Mar 27, 2002
  8. DblArrow

DblArrow

I have 2 cards both Nvidia, 1 tnt, 1 Geforce, and have no problems. It seems to me the problems were due to drivers not being updated. Sounds like you may be refering to the activation issue - by making the system think it is a new system, it requires reactivation.

I run Qcharts 4.1, with no problems; however the new beta 4.2, I have had a couple of program errors and shutdown, but none today. I run 3 windows of Qcharts, 2 of 4.1 and 1 of 4.2.

#18     Mar 27, 2002