200%/year for an AVERAGE trader according to Acrary, still true?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by shortie, Jan 5, 2010.

Retail Professional Traders With 200K Account Should Make

1. >500%/year

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. >200%/year

12 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. >100%/year

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. >50%/year

18 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. >30%/year

17 vote(s)
    15.3%
  6. >20%/year

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. >10%/year

12 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. acrary, good to see you back! i remember enjoying your posts on system development!

#11     Jan 5, 2010
  2. acrary

acrary

Might be a little easier to see in this screenshot.

#12     Jan 5, 2010
  3. nonsense. as shown by the tuco data the average profitable trader makes less that a job wage. the outlier is the trader with big profits.

#13     Jan 5, 2010
  4. Try 200% per month for that size of account.

200% per year still doable for $100 M accounts.

He, who stops the flow of rivers, is not an average trader, however.

#14     Jan 5, 2010
  5. acrary

acrary

I'm not sure what you're saying nonense about. The numbers can be checked using any Monte Carlo sim. I don't think trading about once per-day with a 1.5 profit factor is anything incredible.
    Risking 1.75% of a account wouldn't suite me, but if I had a small
    account;I could see it happening. Maybe the average traders in Tuco didn't have even 100k in their accounts or maybe they had to do periodic withdrawls to live on. To assume trading once per-day is impossible would seem silly to many on this board. Maybe they don't have a profitable strategy. In that case they couldn't be called a pro trader. Anyone could cobble together a handful of systems from Futures Truth and replicate these results. That more aren't doing it is probably a reflection of the capitalization of people wanting to trade and/or a poorly thought out trading plan.

Anyway, Happy New Year.

#15     Jan 5, 2010
  6. That's absurd. If you started with 150k and made 200% per month, you would have more money than Warren Buffett in a year.

If you meant a trader could generate 300k per month, but only have a system to keep a constant 150k in play, the yearly return would be 2400%. I don't doubt there are people who have done 2400% in a year. I don't even doubt that somewhere someone has done it on a 150k account once in the history of the stock market.

But I will buy you lunch if you can document one trader who has ever done it three straight years.

#16     Jan 5, 2010
  7. acrary

acrary

200% per-month isn't reasonable. I was making the case that a target of 200% per-year is a reasonable goal for a small trading account.

#17     Jan 5, 2010
  8. I was responding to riverstopper. I didn't see his postcount before authoring my missive.

#18     Jan 5, 2010
  9. Hi Acrary

Great to see you mate....

You have more wisdom on trading than most will ever know.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your posts. I personally have missed them.

Happy new year and all the Best

John

#19     Jan 5, 2010
  10. John Arnold of Centarus is worth about $3 billion, although he's only 35 years old. He has a track record of triple digit returns (100% - 300%) per year for at least 4 out the last 7 years... and he manages a billion dollar hedge fund.

At least in theory it's probable for someone with a $200k account, given the successes of the John Arnolds and the Steve Cohens of the world. They were able to do it with multimillion dollars, growing it to multibillion dollars.

The truth, however, is that they are the exception, not the rule.

Walt

#20     Jan 5, 2010