$200 to $2million Calendar Spread Challenge

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Sean McLaughlin, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Scaled into a new position in $IWM this morning.

Put the available cash to work in two $IWM Mar/Feb 62 Put calendar spreads at .82 and .83 for a total cost of $170.08 after commissions. Still waiting on a fill on a third spread at .81. Will leave it working through the end of the day tomorrow. If I don't get my price, I'll pay up a little to get it.

Portfolio:
    Cash: $88.24
    Value of Positions: $165.00
    Total Portfolio Value: $253.24

Stay tuned....

#61     Jan 25, 2010
  2. I've traded verticals before. My discomfort with them lies in the fact that you're basically making a directional market bet. And I've proven to myself that I'm no good at that.

Yes, I agree with you about the nice situation of possibly saving money on commissions due to letting worthless options expire.

In the end, one might not be any better than the other. Perhaps one small advantage of entering ATM Calendar spreads is the bid-ask spread might not be as wide since you're trading options at the current strike, as opposed to further out strikes? Just a thought....

#62     Jan 25, 2010
  3. I trade on the thinkorswim platform and cannot recommend it enough.

#63     Jan 25, 2010
  4. Put the remaining cash to work today in $IWM one strike lower than the spreads we put on the other day.

Today, entered $IWM Mar/Feb 61 Put calendar @ .85 for a total cost of $87.54 after commissions. The initial profit target on this trade will be .99.

This used up practically all the remaining cash - there is only 70 cents left in the account. Perfect.

Let's see if we can make back the losses from last week....

Portfolio:
    Open Positions: $247.00
    Cash: $0.70
    Total Value of Account: $247.70

#64     Jan 27, 2010
  5. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

As far as I am concerned, you win regardless of the outcome. Good luck.

Joe.

#65     Jan 28, 2010

6. Thanks Joe. My thoughts exactly.

Best of luck to you as well.

Sean

#66     Jan 28, 2010
  7. What happened? No more posts?

#67     Feb 26, 2010
  8. johnmarg

johnmarg

My guess is that the poster experienced what happens to everyone who thinks they can make money with a system. It didnt work. I havent seen an option system that does work.

#68     Feb 26, 2010
  9. Have you heard of, or had any experience with Optioneer??

It looks like an option system that can work.

#69     Feb 27, 2010