20 points a day

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Brandonf, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Yes it brings us back to the old debate about trying to lose in order to win. Regardless of whether you win or lose the key is consistency. If you can consistently lose trading a subjective method then the difficulty still remains how to convert those losses into gains without upsetting the losing mentality apple cart. You have to continue thinking you are still losing in order to start winning. Anyway the ideal would be an objective rather than subjective method that was losing then you could flip the orders and have a winner without any devious mind bending.

#41     Oct 5, 2002
  2. Pabst

Pabst

TriPac, For a guy with no sense of humor, you just posted a gem!

#42     Oct 6, 2002
  3. JeanMichel there is an old thread where you show charts with ffew indicators slapped on and say thats its veeewy easyyy. When confronted with questions about specific entry exit rules you slowly melted away from posting. Sela veeee?

#43     Oct 6, 2002
  4. Neil

Neil

Yes and there is no debate like an old debate.. partnership is clearly the key here. Two consistently losing traders should partner each other and swop trade signals.. maintaining the same mind set hopefully.. and playing the other side of the others signals.. at least one of them ought to come out shining with glory and as long as they can agree to swop the profits too.. all will be well! If both maintain a losing pattern as previously.. hey.. then both will win!!

How can it fail? Only if the original signals start to work! Which would mean that the trader had found a winning mind set.. brilliant!

Neil

#44     Oct 6, 2002
  5. Magna

Magna Administrator

20 points a day in the ES (per contract), even assuming a fairly conservative margin of $10K per contract, works out to 2,400 percent a year return (and that doesn't include any compounding). With a more aggressive margin of $5K per contract that works out to 4,900 percent a year return (again, not even counting compounding). A paltry five contracts returns $1,250,000 in a year. I suppose that's doable if you truly know the inner permutations and rhythms of the market, but those are very, very, very impressive numbers .... more than exceptional.

#45     Oct 6, 2002
  6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Exactly my point, yet there are tons of sites and individuals who claim that they do this every day, and that this is what you should expect. I think this is one of the major reasons people fail at trading, that is they come in with totally unrealistic expectations about what is possible and normal. I doubt there are more then 3 or 4 people who have ever put those kind of returns together in two consecutive years with any real amount of money (say over 50K).

Brandon

#46     Oct 6, 2002
  7. Are you kidding me?! Insiders alone that are made pervious to macro-financial government data could put in a trade for 500 contracts each time numbers are released and easily pull in a few extra million a year.

And don't think it doesn't happen because it does.

#47     Oct 6, 2002
  8. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

Are you trading yet AphexTwin?

#48     Oct 6, 2002
  9. Brandon,

That will never happen on this site. Not on my watch.

:D

#49     Oct 6, 2002
  10. I think this is one of the major reasons people fail at trading, that is they come in with totally unrealistic expectations about what is possible and normal.

Brandon, Maybe the reason people fail is because they don't believe it is possible.

On what basis do you claim 20 pts a day is unreasonable or unrealistic?

It is just our opinion based on our own experience. We say, others rarely make it so you won't either.

Well then why not just say 90% lose (I don't believe that number by the way) so you will too.

Fool around sometime on the tws demo. You can rack up 20 pts win or lose in no time if you are not paying attention.

#50     Oct 6, 2002