20% per year with as little risk/work as possible?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by michaelday, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Actually, I found this while perusing for bond-trading ideas. I am a systems trader so my day is never "exciting"...all I do is take signals. Know of any bond-trading system ideas?

#31     Apr 4, 2003
  2. Aaron

Aaron

Someone on ET once said "If trading is exciting, you're doing it wrong." There's a lot of truth in that.

#32     Apr 4, 2003
  3. Agreed!

#33     Apr 4, 2003
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

How about this: Since the extra 200k will be long term. Set a date like 12 years from now as maturity. Allocate 40 percent in stocks and 60% in safe fixed income investments (hopefully 4% or more) that will give you an end result of break even at worst even if the stocks go to zero at maturity. If stocks go up in 12 years you can make more than 20% a year. This is basically a principle guaranteed investment that can give some awesome returns. :)

#34     Apr 4, 2003
  5. omcate

omcate

Same for D. E. Shaw. They had Bank of America to bail them out.

:p :p :p
    :D :D :D

#35     Apr 4, 2003
  6. Why not turn your system on its head? Change the default positon on your system to long. If you do get a sell signal, go flat. It's essentially the same thing except 1.) you don't get the dividend income, but 2.) you get Section 1256 tax treatment which should more than make up for dividend gains if your system is any good (in the US that is). 3.) You'll have to deal with trivial inconvenience of rollover every 3 months.

Then, put the remainder of the account in cash (90%) in fixed income and hold until maturity to elimate principal risk...

Just a thought.

#36     Apr 4, 2003