20 of America's Finest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Nice job of evading my request for specificity.

The mission had many similarities to the OBL mission:
    NIGHT STALKERS flew the helicopter.
    SEALS and a dog were aboard to carry out the mission.
    It was done at night.
    It was flown in known unfriendly territory.
    Target was an enemy leader.

Differences:
    Chinook vs Black Hawk with stealth capability. I doubt the stealth part played any part in the loss as the guy who launched the RPG wasn't using radar.

I agree with the rest of your post; but it would be good if you would let us know what the "ERROR" was; don't use a generality, be specific.

Seneca

as

#21     Aug 10, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Reminds me a of an incident in Afghanistan where an outpost was located in a valley surrounded by hills crawling with rag heads. They were short on just about everything including water and materials to build fortifications. Some of the families of the many deceased American soldiers, who were KIA needlessly, embarked on a crusade to get the army to even admit errors in command and judgement were made. Finally the army "reprimanded" an officer or two only to reverse the decision later.

My only son, 2nd LT US Army, is in Afghanistan right now.

#22     Aug 10, 2011
  3. pspr

pspr

We'll pray for his safety. (I say "We" because I know there are others here who will join me.)

#23     Aug 10, 2011
  4. lindq

lindq

You may be referring to the operation highlighted in the documentary RESTREPO.

Highly recommended for anyone who has not seen it.

http://restrepothemovie.com/

#24     Aug 10, 2011
  5. Count me in for prayers.

#25     Aug 10, 2011
  6. Great movie and about as close to being there as one can get.

S

#26     Aug 10, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I've seen, at least most of, that movie. But I'm not sure it's what I was thinking of. The incident I remember was a battle the US soldiers
    almost lost and there were many casualties most due to their lack of materials and their poor location. Decided on by an officer not posted there of course.

#27     Aug 10, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

#28     Aug 10, 2011
  9. lindq

lindq

#29     Aug 10, 2011