20 of America's Finest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. "WASHINGTON — An air strike by NATO-led forces in Afghanistan killed Taliban fighters, including a local leader, who were responsible for a weekend helicopter crash that killed 38 troops, the worst single incident in 10 years of war.

The strike killed Taliban leader Mullah Mohibullah and the insurgent who fired the shot associated with the Aug. 6 downing of the CH-47 helicopter, which resulted in the deaths of 38 Afghan and coalition service members," the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said in a statement."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44088691/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Seneca

#11     Aug 10, 2011
  2. pspr

pspr

That's a good start.

#12     Aug 10, 2011
  3. lindq

lindq

We have no more valuable asset than experienced special forces.

The question is, who the hell was responsible for loading up a Chinook with these guys and flying it over what was known to be active enemy territory?

#13     Aug 10, 2011
  4. We are at war; this is what SEALS and NIGHT STALKERS do for a living.

#14     Aug 10, 2011
  5. lindq

lindq

They do what for a living? Get shot out of the air and die? That is acceptable to you?

There are better means of air transport than putting 20 of our best into a giant airbus in a combat zone and making them a clear target.

#15     Aug 10, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

You mean like Delta or American Airlines? :)

Seriously though, what other means did you have in mind?

#16     Aug 10, 2011
  7. lindq

lindq

At the least, split up the force into Little Birds and BlackHawks. The Chinook is huge, loud and slow, and not at all appropriate for flying over areas where the bad guys are known to operate.

#17     Aug 10, 2011
  8. g222

g222

They DO have those stealth choppers so why they had to use that 'graf zepplin' is beyond me.

Personally, I'd rather see these guys sitting at a console joysticking a drone in on the targets. But I've known a few of these guys over the years, and they eat it up!!! When they've talked about 'doing' a bad guy, the look on their face would give you an unforgettable chill.

#18     Aug 10, 2011
  9. SEALS and NIGHT STALKERS or for that matter any soldier in a combat zone has the other side shooting back. At least that is how the wars I've read about work. I don't recall the Germans holding their fire at Omaha Beach.

If there are better ways of transport, please let us know, and I'll pass it along to the Pentagon as I'm sure they would love to know. Remember, this is the same or similar mission that got bin Laden.

As far as it being acceptable; which "acceptable" are you asking about:

1. Was the means of transport acceptable?
    2. Was the risk of the mission vs. its reward acceptable?
    3. Is the whole war in the sandbox acceptable?
    4. Were the number of SEALS and NIGHT STALKERS in one helicopter acceptable?
    5. Did the NIGHT STALKERS who flew the mission think it acceptable? I'll let them answer:

"I serve with the memory and pride of those who have gone before me, for they loved to fight, fought to win
    and would rather die than quit""

Seneca

#19     Aug 10, 2011
  10. lindq

lindq

This was in absolutely no way similar to the Bin Laden mission. And they sure as hell didn't fly a Chinook filled with SEALS to get Bin Laden.

The attitude displayed in your post I fear is typical of those who feel that the military can do no wrong. This seems especially true when there are deaths. "Rally round the flag boys!"

But as one who grew up in the military and served myself, I can tell you that serious "management" mistakes that costs lives are made every day. But you seldom hear about them.

Questions need to be asked and answered as to why this happened. This was an ERROR. Somebody made the wrong decision to toss a Chinook into a hot zone when filled with America's finest.

#20     Aug 10, 2011