20 more weeks of unemployment benefits??!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by DrPepper, Aug 16, 2010.

1. wartrace

wartrace

Better yet, if you were a minimum wage EMPLOYER would you hire a 50 year old MBA to flip burgers? The answer is no. I wouldn't, I want someone who will work for peanuts, doesn't know labor law and isn't a threat to my position.

#11     Aug 16, 2010
  2. I saw a statistic some time ago that around half of the immigrants in Calif. receive welfare. The number has probably changed over time, but it does give a picture.

The unemployment will probably be extended until the elections are over.

#12     Aug 16, 2010
  3. wartrace

wartrace

I am amazed that someone who is an active member of a trading/economic forum could be so clueless about the economic reality of our current situation. (yes, another insult)

What part of five unemployed for every job opening is so difficult to comprehend? Have you not noticed the 460,000+ initial claims for unemployment that has continued for OVER A YEAR NOW? Is it lost on you that there has been NO JOB CREATION OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT? Did the fact we have lost over 1/3 of our manufacturing jobs in the past ten years "slip" by you? Guess what, a heck of a lot of these people wanting extended benefits are former factory workers in their mid to late fifties. Kind of pointless to retrain if you're 57 years old with just a high school education.

Please- I must be full of crap. Please show me where the 20+ million jobs that disappeared in real estate/construction and manufacturing have been replaced by new jobs. SHOW ME THE ONE FREAKING MILLION NEW JOBS PER MONTH you seem to think exist somewhere..................................
    Then you can take me for a ride on your skittle pooping unicorn.

#13     Aug 16, 2010
  4. I lost my job in November of 2009. I did not apply for or receive unemployment benefits. Fortunately, I had enough savings until I found another job in July of this year. I also traded, but kept that money in my retirement account and did not use it for living expenses.

I do not begrudge a person recently laid off from collecting unemployment benefits for up to 6 months in order to find a job as unemployment insurance was initially intended. On the other hand, 2 years of unemployment benefits for the vast majority of people is ridiculous in my (apparently minority) opinion. However, unless that person is spending 8 hours a day actively applying for a job, I see no harm in them earning money doing something other than the career for which they have trained. If everyone who is currently receiving unemployment benefits were asked to do some sort of part-time work for our government in exchange for the money then, yes, I believe that it would benefit our economy.

#14     Aug 16, 2010
  5. Wow. I had no idea we had so many unemployed people on this site. I thought people here actually knew how to make money trading.

How long have you been collecting unemployment? I am guessing that you are in the 99 club.

Maybe you could use your intelligence, creativity and personal charm to find another way to be of service to other people in a way that would benefit them so much that they would pay you money. Or you could learn to trade. There are a lot of good threads here.

Argue for your limitations and they are yours.

Time to put you on ignore.

#15     Aug 16, 2010
  6. xtrader0

xtrader0

One would continue for five months a popular $8,000 credit for many first-time home buyers, which was to expire Nov. 30, and create a $6,500 credit for some homeowners who want to buy a new residence. The other would allow businesses to deduct losses from their income in five profitable years instead of two; the stimulus law had limited the break to small businesses.

#16     Aug 16, 2010
  7. wartrace

wartrace

No DrPepper, I am not unemployed. If you look at the original post I made, I agreed that we can't pay people unemployment forever. I only commented because your original post was such an inane and clueless comment. It is as if you don't have a clue as to the current situation in this country. I guess you don't follow the economic reports too closely.

I think it is best if you put me on ignore, I am disappointed I never got a ride on your skittle pooping unicorn though.........

#17     Aug 16, 2010
  8. 1# ILLEGAL immigration is just that ILLEGAL until the morrons of this country change the name from ILLEGAL to LEGAL or Amnesty or we wake the fuck up and decide to do something about ILLEGAL immigration.

2# UNEMPLOYMENT has now become a Entitlement much like Social Security and Wealfair. NO THE GOV. will not stop the the benni's from roll'n in. They will continue to expand it...may be some hick ups in the road...but there will be more extensions.

3# the DEPRESSION is regional. I just left a Private Equity Firm dealing in OIL ventures to join a Start up dealing with International Freight and Global Trade. It took me all of two days of interviews with the CEO to get the position, after I resigned from the Private Equity Firm. I live in TEXAS.

4# Illegal Immigrants have been hit hard by this depression as construction has come almost to a hault across the country. So, even though they are ILLEGAL, the numbers are high for unemployed. Many are heading back to Mexico.

Research the strongest job markets and you may find the top is Washington DC, soon to be followed by Austin, San Antonio in Texas, to Mobil AL where the new Steel plant and deep sea port is being built. There are pockets of growth across the country.

IL, MA, IN, NY, NJ are all in the tank. As is most of the west coast.
    These states have yet to admit they are bankrupt. Look at the yeilds on Munis in those area's. More risk in Munis in the East and West Coast than going long Oil right now.

This is just the beginning of a decade of deleveraging. Get use to it as it will be global.

My new venture will have me dealing with the Global Trade Community and it will be interesting to the pulse on the Trading activity among the nations.

The whole world is not in the shitter...and plenty of people making plenty of Money around the world.

#18     Aug 16, 2010
  9. I once read a statistic that said if you have been out of work for longer than 1 year, there is a 95% chance you are unemployable meaning you will not be able to hold down a job again once you do get employed.

#19     Aug 16, 2010
  10. joe4422

joe4422

How much money can you earn running a leaf blower? Let's assume 8 bucks an hour times 40 hours a week, that's 320 dollars a week. Take out taxes and that's around 260. That's about 1000 dollars a month. Health Insurance for a family is around 700 dollars a month. So that leaves 300 dollars for rent, food, gas, bills, clothes and anything else.

Hmmm... I wonder why people don't consider blowing leaves a job.

The real job however, is owning a land scape company. Picture, if companies couldn't hire illegals, then they wouldn't be able to expand, which would mean more Americans could open land scape companies and make a decent living.

#20     Aug 17, 2010