2 Weeks payed vacation is miserable existance

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Sep 14, 2011.

Are Americans work slaves?

1. Yes. Working 50 weeks a year is a miserable existance.

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No. Work is good. The more the better.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. I don't know.

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. I don't care.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. 73% vs the US 76%

#11     Sep 14, 2011
  2. jem

jem

good observation.. . that seems to be the case in southern california.

When I am working my tail off and have a fat pay day I find myself buying a video game for my kids or a flat screen for my ahh wife.... (me).

When I am not working as hard the same payday goes into the bank without stopping at best buy.

#12     Sep 14, 2011
  3. Payed?

#13     Sep 14, 2011
  4. I'm born and raised in Wash DC and have lived in europe as well so I see the cultural differences when it comes to working and vacation time.

Americans are obsessed with spending like crazy, maxing out their credit cards, always trying to outdo their neighbors. Whereas europeans aren't obsessed with that level of material hunger, and are more into a "physical health" quality of life and show it in their lower heart attack, stroke, obesity rates, AND suicide rates, etc.

USA's obsession to always have to be the best at everything enslaves the typical american worker to lots of work, tons of stress, and little free time enjoyment. Truly sad.

#14     Sep 14, 2011
  5. Compare 2 weeks "payed" vacation vs people in the 3rd world that work 12 hour days, 6 days per week and get no vacation.

The grass is always greener somewhere else. At least until you get to Bransons level of wealth and the grass is then greener nowhere else.

#15     Sep 14, 2011
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Or the life of the vast majority of most people (peasants, farmers or other laborers) in past centuries...on every continent.

People have been working more hours for the past four decades, though...despite all the "time saving" technology and gadgets.

Compliance with ever-increasing regulations and concerns about lawsuits has increased the workload for many...while decreasing productivity.

#16     Sep 14, 2011
  7. No, that would be a lack of unions that does it.
    The single benefit won by unions that managements around the US have been very leery of touching has been the vacation benefit. In companies - they're rare these days, but there's still a few - where unions have won at least two weeks of paid vacation even for starting workers, that automatically means management gets more.
    You will notice that if there's a dispute between the union and management, vacation time is not usually the bone of contention. Pay, pension, health care, "flexible" work rules, sick days and whether they accumulate from year to year, overtime pay, holiday pay, you name it, but not usually vacation time. 'Cause, you know, management likes that extra vacation time.

#17     Sep 14, 2011
  8. but why are they happier, have less obese people, girls prettier and less materialistic?

#18     Sep 15, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

They don't know any better?
    They can't afford to eat?
    No one has checked under their arms?
    They can't afford it?

:D I'm partly kidding. We Americans do try way too hard to out do the Jone's and consequently live beyond our means.

#19     Sep 15, 2011
  10. Regarding materialistic, I don't know this for a fact but we have plenty of options to spend our money here in the US. You can indulge in and go as far as you want and the only thing stopping you is not enough money.

Just about everybody who works probably has an expensive hobby.

#20     Sep 15, 2011