2% rule on small accounts?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by melee, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Cutten

Cutten

Trade stocks. Trade small. Only increase size if you are making sufficient retained trading profit to justify it.

With $10k that is not enough to trade full-size futures without taking high risks.

The 2% rule is if anything too risky for beginners. Try risking 0.1% instead, since the odds are that you are going to be a net loser for the first year or two anyway. 2% is a decent risk for proven profitable traders with a solid, tested method, and an adequate capital base. Beginners with no track record, most likely no edge, and inadequate capital should be taking way less risk than veterans.

#11     Aug 21, 2007
  2. dave74

dave74

Do most good traders use trailing stops? If so, do they use bid/ask trailing stop or last price trailing stop?

Thanks.

#12     Aug 21, 2007
  3. Cutten

Cutten

Risk management is the one trading factor that never changes. If you are regularly risking more than a few % on any given trade, you are eventually going to take a bath, unless you have an extraordinarily high win rate. Imagine risking 5% per trade - just 4 losers in a row and you are down almost 20%. If you trade long enough you will eventually see losing streaks of 10 trades or more, just by bad luck. Heaven help you if your method actually degrades so it no longer works in current conditions. You will be down 50%+ before you know what has happened.

#13     Aug 21, 2007
  4. sporky

sporky

bad luck?!

if luck has anything to do with your thinking forget trading.

as for the OP, trade eCBOT's smaller gold contract. with proper RM you'll be fine if your edge is good.

#14     Aug 21, 2007
  5. ronblack

ronblack

Good post.

Someone told me once that if you trade long enough there is always a losing streak with your name on it enough to wipe you out so risking less percentage of your account per trade makes it more improbable for the streak to show up during your lifetime and before you retire.

Ron

#15     Aug 22, 2007
  6. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

If you lose 2% in on trade, you can make it back easily with one trade.

If you lose 20% it's tough to make a back in one trade

#16     Aug 24, 2007
  7. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

If you lose three times staight, there is something wrong with your system or something wrong with your emotion stamina

#17     Aug 24, 2007
  8. sporky

sporky

I don't think so

#18     Aug 24, 2007
  9. Assuming your system does not deliver 100% winning trades (a safe assumption I think) then at some point your system will deliver a run of losers greater than other runs.

As long as you continually review your system and have no reason to feel it has lost its edge, then the best way to deal with a run of losers is to take some time off trading. Having a set of rules that make it easy when to this is the way I trade. If my system delivers 3 losers I stop trading for a week. It doesn't stop the losing runs, but it means I can only lose a certain amount in a week and will therefore still be in the game next week.

#19     Aug 24, 2007
  10. sporky

sporky

why prolong (time-wise) your losing streak?! you're just picking up where you left off and gained nothing, but did lose time.

the sooner you get it over with the sooner you get back to making money.

#20     Aug 24, 2007