2 pcs, 2 isps, 1 mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by punter, Jan 21, 2010.

1. punter

punter

you need both pcs to be connected to the same network to use something like synergy.

is there a way to use 1 mouse to control 2 pcs (each with their own displays/not projecting the client screen onto the host), connected to 2 different isps?

2. punter

punter

also, theres 4 monitors.

3 on 1 pc
    1 on the other pc.

3. GTS

GTS

Two NIC's on each PC? One NIC configured for internet access (with a default route) and the other used just to talk to the other PC on a private subnet, e.g. 192.168.x.x. Never tried it with that app but it should work.

4. If I'm reading this correctly, just use a KVM switch - only plug in the mouse and keyboard, leave the monitors directly connected to the respective PCs. Network/NICs are irrelevant.

You use some keyboard hotkey (eg press Scroll Lock twice) to switch control from one pc to the other.

However, you don't get the copy/paste type functionality (and you can't use the mouse to move control from one machine to the other) that you get with Synergy.

5. punter

punter

thanks for the advice.

Have you ever tried this or know someone who has?

6. jumper

jumper

I use a KVM switch and rely on it daily. There are a lot of cheap slow ones. I use the Linksys and it's super fast and reliable. The slow ones can take 3 secs before you can control the other pc. The Linksys is instant. For other brands, they've lasted less than a year. Knock on wood, my current Linksys has lasted over 4 years.

7. punter

punter

do you use it with 2 cpus and more than 2 monitors?

i want to know if I do what somone posted to do, which is plug in my keyboard mouse to the switch, and leave my monitors attached to my cpus, if i can still switch back and forth (basically, don't use the monitor part of the kvm)

8. moarla

moarla

9. jumper

jumper

I use 2 pc's and do not use it for the monitors. Each pc has its own monitor(s).

10. punter

punter

don't the cpu's have to be on the same network for something like this to work? i have 2 isps, one is firewalled, the other is not, so i'm not sure this would work

#10     Jan 23, 2010