2 monitors: 1 LCD, 1 CRT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MFtr, Nov 17, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

The OS is selected for "extended desktop"... then you can use as many different windows as you want, arranged as you like. The ATI cards support this also.

#11     Nov 21, 2003
  2. jay567

jay567

my buddy actually bought a matrox dual output card - i'm not sure which one - but it seems to be identical to my ati card for my purposes (not gaming).

you shouldn't have any problems extending your screen onto the second monitor assuming that your second monitor is the same size and resolution as the primary one.

j

#12     Nov 21, 2003
  3. gnome

gnome

Mix-n-match monitors and resolutions is OK, too.

#13     Nov 21, 2003
  4. jay567

jay567

you won't be able to maximize both screens if your two monitors are of different size and resolution... it will work though

#14     Nov 21, 2003
  5. One of my computers is using a dual output nVidia card (has one analog and one DVI) and I send both to two analog monitors (using a DVI to RGB adapter on the DVI port).

No problem with screen clarity. The desktop is an extended 3200x1200 resolution running on Hitachi SuperScan monitors - the whole extended desktop is absolutely crystal clear.

So DVI with an analog monitor isn't necessarily the problem. If you're not getting good clarity on the analog monitor, it's probably:

1. A fault in the DVI port on the card (switch the monitors between the two ports and see if you see any difference)

2. A problem with the DVI to RGB adapter you're using (try using a different adapter)

3. A fault in the monitor cable that you're using (try a different monitor cable)

4. The monitor itself - try connecting to a different (better) analog monitor and see if you still have a problem

#15     Nov 21, 2003
  6. MFtr

MFtr

Thank you guys for all comments :)

Try to find the extended desktop option, where is it?

Gnome, are u sure I can use different size and resolution monitors with the ATI card? (will try with Radeon 9200SE)
    Don't know if they have option to set up each monitor parameters.

I understand these cards do not work in independent mode, but user can work with 2 (or more) different screens with different windows on each screen, right? You have already mentioned about it, just asking for confirmation.

Thanx, MFtr

#16     Nov 21, 2003
  7. I have a Matrox g550 dual card that has never been opened. Part# g55+mdha320r.

Now, I am not an expert so I am not representing that this card will work. It says on the box it supports one analog and one digital.

I will sell it to you, make me an offer, you can pay after you try it. PM me. I was hoping for around $65.00 or $75.00.

Michael B.

#17     Nov 21, 2003
  8. How does a cable convert from Digital to Analog? That's not what happens. A circuit known as a D-to-A converter converts digital to analog then feeds that to the port on the video card. There's no way in hell a cable itself can do anything more than carry signals, let alone convert from a binary signal to an analog waveform.

#18     Nov 21, 2003
  9. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I am using an LCD (Samsung-DVI)/CRT (CTX-analog) combo too. I am running them on a Matrox G450 that has one DVI and one analog port. Everything works great. I have a third montior (the primary LCD) running on a GeForce card, all working seamlessly.

I think the deal ElectricSavant is offering is probably good. I paid $90 for my G450.

#19     Nov 21, 2003

10. I bought it by mistake...I wanted to run 2 lcd monitors and fortunately read the box before I opened the seal on the card. So it will be easy for me to sell. If I can help a fellow trader out then great....

Michael B.

#20     Nov 21, 2003