2 held on terror charges in Ohio...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Facing Aiding Terrorism Charges
    Watch it Now!
    WTAP News
    Elizabeth Green

Twenty-year old's Ali Howssaiky and Osama Abulhassan are facing charges of money laundering to aid terrorism. This comes after a traffic stop Tuesday led police to thousands of dollars in cash, several disposable cell phones and instructions of how to obtain private flight information. Police also found a list of flight passengers in the car.

"It also had information about airport checkpoints, and what would be accomplished there, so this is a little bit unusual," Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks says.

Sheriff Mincks also says the disposable cell phones are especially important, because it appears their final destination was supposed to be overseas.

"They are digital and can be used to detonate car bombs," he says.

Residents say it is scary to think of terrorism in the Mid-Ohio Valley.

"Being in our area, it makes me uncomfortable, but surprised is something no one should be," Marietta resident Rose Criss says.

Sheriff Mincks says they might have picked Marietta because of the small town atmosphere, but that probably worked to their disadvantage when it came to getting caught.
    He also says this is precisely the reason he doesn't think Marietta is a target for a terrorism attack.

"I guess I can't give you an absolute guarantee, I feel we are as safe here as anybody in the United States. We are a small community and i think that is a benefit because people look out for each other," he says.

Both cases were continued until Wednesday afternoon, and their bonds are set at 200 thousand dollars.

Sheriff Mincks also says it's important to watch for suspicious behavior because these a not the only men who have been in the area buying large quantities of the phones.

http://www.wtap.com/news/headlines/3534986.html