2 Hard drives on same computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EqtTrdr, Mar 12, 2004.

1. TGregg

TGregg

That's an awesome idea. I've always wanted to play games on my trading computer. I could have one drive for trading, and one for other stuff. After a hard day of trading and it's time to blow away some aliens, I power down, swap drives, and fire it back up - ready to go.

And no, as far as I know Doom III is not out yet. :(

#11     Mar 13, 2004
  2. I bought this product about a year ago for my computer at home. It gives you up to 3 computers with one box.

My kids have their own dedicated hard drive and operating system for their games...My wife and I have our own.

It keeps everything separate and I will not be without it until the kids are out of the house or have their own box. I simply shut the computer down...push the button for my hard drive and it boots from that drive

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6550/

I bought the first version of this product for less than $40.00 and used the hard drive out of my old computer.

#12     Mar 13, 2004
  3. the internal "rack" that reiehaxm suggested is a great product
    but, the only draw back I had was space inside the case when I was building my own computers ...

the not having to keep up with the HDs in their own trays separate from the computer .. that is pretty valuable in itself. IF you have room inside the box

the removable rack that I posted is usable for any box that has at least one external accessible bay available ...

I have one tower that I built a while back .. don't use it now, that had lotsa room and I just put a toggle switch on the front bezel of three hard drives that I had in it ..... make it a cheap version of the one reiehaxm put up

but, none of these that I've built or use now has the ability to run multiple HDs simultaneously and keep them isolated from each other

I currently have NO EMAIL capability on any hard drive that I use other than a single unit that has ONLY email ...
    makes me feel a bit more secure from viruses ....
    that way when I'm using email, the only hd that can be infected is the email one .. all my others are safe

#13     Mar 13, 2004
  4. This was sort of a brilliant solution.....good idea...

Michael B.

#15     Mar 13, 2004
  5. Trucail

Trucail

#16     Mar 13, 2004
  6. VirtualPC is basically same as VMWare, minus support for non-MS operating systems and various features

#17     Mar 13, 2004
  7. TGregg

TGregg

Thanks. I'm considering doing this, now that I realized I can just use a faceplate on one of my bays rather than cutting a hole in my case. I just gotta remember how switches are named, so I get the right one. :D

#18     Mar 14, 2004
  8. Ninja

Ninja

You can do this with SCSI drives easily. However there is at least one good reason for not doing this with IDE drives. I just can't remember what it was :confused:

#19     Mar 22, 2004