2 Critical Questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sam Farmagham, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Every time I hear about a new company and want to learn about them I find it hard to gather useful information about them in a very short period of time. As a day trader/swing trader I need to learn about companies real quick, enough to make it possible for me to consider investing or shorting...

1-What is the fastest way to learn about a publicly traded company in less than 1 hour?

2-What are the most important information I need to look for, that are crucial as an investor?

Thanks

2. comagnum

comagnum

Earnings and the price + volume trends over the last few quarters post earnings releases gives me more than enough info to swing trade with.

3. qxr1011

qxr1011

As a trader one does not need to knoew anything about the company to trade its stock, trading is a price speculation

4. "Price speculation"... Well I guess you need some information regarding the company if you wana speculate properly no?

Example: somebody comes and tells you hey GNK is a great buy...

Now what websites would you go, what data would you check if you wana know some good and useful quick info about GNK? (GNK is purely an example)

I want to be able to dig all the information I need in less than an hour and be able to speculate stocks price and decide on whether trade it now or not.

5. qxr1011

qxr1011

Now as investor u will need to spend probably more than an 1 hour to determine current and the future value of the company, investing is s value speculation

6. qxr1011

qxr1011

If we talking about profeccional approach u should Care less what someone think is good buy....if we talking about trading your method sdhould choose what and when to buy snd yo sell....for trading method all fundaments are irrelevant

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    d08 and eganon69 like this.
  7. JackRab

JackRab

Check the events calendar. Last statements/news on companies website. General news re company of last year. Do a quick fundamental check, look at multiples and cashflow statement and earnings...
    When you get the hang of it, 20 mins (or less) work for the basics....

But for daytrading, just look at the calendar and main competitors calendar. Fundamental stuff usually doesn't matter for short in/out daytrading.

Sam Farmagham likes this.
  8. CBC

CBC

The bloomberg i-pad app will let you punch in the stock code and then you can see a lot of information about that company.

9. eganon69

eganon69

THIS!

Outside of the industry and sector I know virtually nothing about a company I TRADE unless they have been in the news for some reason (Like Wells Fargo). I am not TRADING based on Fundamentals which in my opinion are backward looking at results of the last quarter(s). I follow what price and technicals are doing. All you need to worry about is what OTHER people think of the stock. If there is a wave of people/money moving into a stock BUY it. If the opposite is true SELL it. What does it matter if they make widgets or condoms or if their widget is better than the ones from a similar company? All I look for is what appears to be the next big wave I want to ride and get off when it starts to die down. That is how I Swing TRADE. Remember it does not matter a thing about how solid the company is when you plan to only own the stock for minutes to days.

Sometimes I INVEST and look to hold on to a stock for years and years through ups and downs no matter what (for me Google/Alphabet would be one). For that I look at fundamentals. A good place to look is Yahoo Finance page for the stock in question and I look at Key Statistics section and decide. But I still look for entry based on technicals even in these few situations.

So to answer your questions:
    1) Look at a chart and price. You can get most of the info you need in less than 10 sec.
    2) Most important info?...Is price rising or falling. Is the price at least $7 (I prefer >$10 f possible). Are there at least 1 million shares traded/day? Is VOLUME and momentum building up with underlying pressure forming to go in the intended direction of the trade?

My 0.02 for what its worth.

10. Thanks a lot!

#10     Nov 29, 2016