2 computers running same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EverythingIhad, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Why not run 8-mon on one machine and remote desktop or VNC into the other boxes?

#11     May 2, 2011
  2. cstfx

cstfx

8 monitors taxes the computer resources. Why would you want to do that to your trading machine if you don't have to?

#12     May 2, 2011
  3. Appropriate tool for the job I suppose. My stuff is all dual CPU with 8-16GB of RAM. I have never had an issue handling multiple monitors no matter what the number.

The biggest "tax" on the monitors is the video GPU, memory allocation and PCI/PCI-e BUS throughputs. Most any decent CPU/motherboard combo with a 64-bit OS and a decent amount of RAM can handle 8 monitors just fine.

Synergy is a great tool but I would argue that it is just as taxing, both on CPU and network/NIC resources as running a second quad-card on a machine.

#13     May 2, 2011
  4. at the end, i find separate keyboards and mouse works most efficiently.....no delays, no worries about one PC freezing up, etc etc

#14     May 2, 2011
  5. Agree. If you have the space or can make it, separate keyboard/mouse is a good way to go. Just divide the multi-tasking load between 2 machines. (Trying to accommodate 2 computers from one keyboard/mouse is just one more thing which can mess up.)

#15     May 2, 2011