2 computers = 2 different charts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IanMacQuaide, Sep 30, 2009.

1. My last clock related problem was due to the need for a new CMOS battery. I new for sure I needed it when I started getting a low voltage warning at startup, but I didn't get the message until I had the clock problems for a month or so. The batteries are cheap, so might be an easy try to see if it fixes the problem.
    On the other hand I have an old AMD system that has lagged for years. I reset the clock all the time, and it slowly gets behind. I haven't figured that one out.
    Also, curious if the network card is bad, as you say you get more setups on the one computer. Makes me wonder if it isn't just a delay, but something causing you to miss data related to the card. Otherwise if it was just a delay the setups should all show up, but delayed on the one. Have you tried switching the router ports also. Swap the router ports you use for each and see if that changes anything. Maybe the router isn't distributing equally.
    There's my 2 or 3 cents. Finally if all else fails I've always believed that throwing the dang thing through a window(especially 2nd story or higher) is a good answer at times. :D

#21     Oct 1, 2009
  2. what charting you are using ?

#22     Oct 1, 2009
  3. Laptop: Chinese Lenovo?
    Desktop: American Dell/HP?

#23     Oct 1, 2009
  4. Sierra Charts, latest version, settings are exactly the same.
    Laptop's about 3 yrs old, so the new bios and battery might do the trick.
    Edit:
    Bios update didn't do it.
    btw, the laptop is a Gateway NX860

#24     Oct 1, 2009
  5. Solved.
    Sierra Charts have a settings box that reads "Link Chart Time to Local Computer Clock".
    Unchecked the box on both charting pkgs on both computers, lights shone from above, angels sang, etc.

#25     Oct 13, 2009
  6. JackR

JackR

Ian:

But the "devil" is in the details. There is still something strange with your computer clocks not being in sync. If both Sierra packages were running against their respective PC's clocks and both clocks were synched to the same internet time source, the charts should have matched within milliseconds.

However, if you can trade successfully, be happy. Which it appears, you are.

Jack

#26     Oct 13, 2009
  7. Logical that it had something to do with "clocks"..

#27     Oct 14, 2009
  8. :p :D

#28     Oct 14, 2009