2 attempts needed to short with IB

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Toonces, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Toonces

Toonces

More often than not, it takes me 2 attempts to place a short using IB TWS. I place the order, I get a popup message that says 'could not value this order at this time.' I close the popup box, then I place the same identical order, and it goes through immediately.

I can't be the only one having this issue. It's been going on for several months, and IB doesn't seem interested in fixing it. This is a HUGE problem

2. What are you trying to short? I haven't had any problems shorting, I shorted the futures ES, NQ, YM, CL, and the mini-crude oil (can't think of the symbol off the top of my head right now) and the stock EL today without any issues.

3. Toonces

Toonces

Just stocks...nothing in particular, I trade whatever's in play. I just attempted several shots (above the market). Most of them went live, but about 1 in 4 I got the popup message.

4. you may consider trying this technique...place a short/locate on the stock, at a limit price well above your intended sale, on a gtc bais, this gets it located, and effectively 'on hold' for you, then when you wanna sell it, adjust your price-point.

In other words, plan ahead.

5. Bob111

Bob111

happens all the time, along with another funny pop up-"could not value this contract at time time". could not value stock on middle of the trading day? order got rejected and stays like that. you press transmit for second time-no problem.they having those second click problems in different variations for years.
    lately i notice, that size sometimes is not shown correctly too. you place your order at same price as current bid-size still same.

6. Toonces

Toonces

I have noticed this too recently. Their quotes sometimes take a long time to update. I sent in a trouble ticket about this.

Also sent a trouble ticket about the short order problem. They said they're 'working on it.' :)