1998 BMW M3 (Bay Area)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Dustin, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro

nitro

Oh...LMAO, a "sports" car with an automatic transmition? Hmmm, I guess some Italian super-sportscars do...

They probably call the M3 a "touring sedan"...

nitro

#11     Mar 16, 2003
  2. Personally, I would never opt for an automatic transmission in a sportscar and never have...You have to realize though that the legendary Corvette manufactures more automatics than 6-speeds, and no one will dispute that is one powerful sportscar

#12     Mar 16, 2003
  3. wrong. i mean Ni T Ro with his lame three word replies to keep his post count up. not the car, HIM. he's so obvious it's pathetic. what a maroon.

nitro, you could have 10,000 posts here and it would not raise your stature one inch here on ET. not for us who really know you , ie.

#13     Mar 16, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

Agreed. The vette is dollar for dollar probably the best all around sports car in the world, and I know they make them in auto. For a time there, if I remember correctly, there was some dispute whether a corvette shifted by a human could out drag another vette on the computer - that is how good some auto transmitions have gotten.

I am biased for the manual because I am more of a street light to street light guy more than the 175 mph top speed guy. In fact, I was reading in a recent R&T that the new Mach1 Mustang at 305 HP is FASTER corner to corner than the new 390 HP Cobra.

nitro

#14     Mar 16, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

Funny thing is I looked at the corvette coupe when it first came out a few years ago. On that one model, the 6 speed was an extra cost option. On the regular vette's, the automatic is the extra cost option.

I guess they know what you want, and make you pay. I mean why would anyone buy the coupe unless they wanted a high performance sports car? While the convertible and the coupe are more likely to be driven by suburban housewives, so they charge extra for automatics.

Great marketing. Pay to play.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#15     Mar 16, 2003
  6. Swipe

Swipe

Stature... I was in the Chat room, looking around and nitro was trading 1 lots and his sig says YOU GOTTA DO SIZE. So what should I be thinking?

#16     Mar 16, 2003
  7. rs7

rs7

Far as I understand it, the Ferrari's with the F1 shifters are not what we think of as "automatics". They shift through the gears without a torque converter. It is really a manual transmission that can go through the gears automatically. (Which sounds like what an "automatic" transmission does, but it just isn't the same). So essentially, while you can let the car shift for you, (or shift manually with the steering wheel mounted paddles) it is different from a conventional "automatic".

It's called an F1 is because the paddle shifter is what formula one cars use. Stick shifts with clutches are outdated in racing. No one can shift as fast as the "F1" configuration.

So if you can afford it, that is the ideal transmission. Or at least it would be for me. My wife hates driving a stick shift, and I can't imagine having a sports car with an automatic. Even the Tiptronic in a Porsche would ruin the car for me. But the F1 would make me a happy camper (maybe a bit flashy for me, but I would get over it).

Just my personal preference. I know a lot of Porshe owners with Tiptronic will give a different side of the story. But to me, only the F1 is a real sports car without a clutch.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

I trade 1 lots - 5 lots on the ES.

I also trade listed side by side with ES. There I start at 2000 shares. When I wrote that, all I traded was listed.

nitro

#18     Mar 16, 2003
  9. Dustin

Dustin

Two Door, Manual. Let me know if you want more pics/info etc.

#19     Mar 17, 2003

10. try it ( ferrari ) in black. takes away some of the "flash". these guys are 2 miles from my house---www.algarferrari.com .

enjoy,

surfer:)

#20     Mar 18, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.