1959 Chevrolet Bel Air vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS crash test

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Frederick Foresight, May 23, 2021.

1. I used to think those old cars were sturdier.

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Remember those videos in Drivers Ed showing all the dead people from driving recklessly? They are all from the 60’s and 70’s because car safety has gotten so good that there isn’t enough material to create a video today.

3. Good point. I just didn't think the oldsters were quite so fragile. By outward appearances, and when you rapped your knuckles on the body, they appeared to have more heft. But here I am, judging books by their covers, eh?

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I remember those videos in drivers education class.

They scared the hell out of me and I was in high school in the mid 80s...watching those videos from the 50s - 70s. I remember in one video...they showed photos of dead people behind the wheel in the cars...crushed.

A quarter of the class either vomited or put their hands over their faces so they can not see the videos.

It was so scary...my hands were shaking when my driver instructor and I did my first drive around a residential neighborhood. 3 weeks later, I was sweating bullets when we did the "freeway / highway" driving...
    • I thought for sure it was the day I was going to die.
    To make matters more scary, a teenager from a nearby high school was killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver...a teenager I played sports against. There was a closed casket funeral and us teenagers knew what that meant as in that his body must have been so fucked up in the crash.

wrbtrader

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Comparing a car with air bags, seatbelts and crumple zones to a car without seatbelts, air bags and crumple zones in an exercise in futility.

I guess mid 1970s American cars would fare better, when they were bigger and had more girth. And seatbelts. Just a guess.

6. ElCubano

ElCubano

I don't care what that video is showing, lol. No way Jose is a new car tougher body wise than those hunk of metals from the past.

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

I don't think a person could've survived in the older car, in that kind of crash. It's amazing how far design and technology have come.

8. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

I can't believe someone would do that to a classic car.

[​IMG]

easymon1 likes this.
  9. mlawson71

mlawson71

It could be a replica built in the same way.

10. easymon1

easymon1

I can't help it, disrespect of that level gotta be part of a gubmint project.
    Idiotes, slimedogs. Of all the old rides, nice paint job, the works. fuggups.
    It's hard to find good help.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    #10     Jun 12, 2021
    LS1Z28 likes this.