1939 New York in HD Color!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 1, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

#11     Jun 2, 2013
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'm not flying first class. What I'm pointing out is how America's changed from. Society that used to dress rather well vs what we have now. IMO as above, it points to a loss of self respect and respect for others when I see what I see in airports now vs. 30 years ago when I first flew.

And sure, I've flown in jeans before, but always at least try to wear a decent shirt, clean shoes, etc., I'm sure Luke here, who flys often as a Pilot can point out some examples of what he sees in airports today. :eek:

Of course, I DO love gals in tight jeans n tight shorts in the airports.:D

#12     Jun 2, 2013
  3. Here is a guy who started flying at 12 and was flying twin engines and in air shows at 18.He finished instrument rating training in only 19 days.Rather then be a air cabbie/air servant he built his own multi million dollar aviation business.

http://www.entrepreneurrookie.com/e...-entrepreneur-millionaire-ascension-aircraft/

Jamail Larkins, 25, Young Entrepreneur Millionaire, Ascension Aircraft

If you believe you can fly, then you will. Thats probably the thought that propelled Jamail Larkins into the air for his first solo flight at age 14. Larkins took his first flying lesson at 12 years old, and by age 18 he was already king of the skies when he performed in an aerobatic air show at age 18.

Jamail also earned a bachelor's degree in aviation business administration from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He refused to go the 9 to 5 career route to work for an aviation or flight technology company in his industry and instead started his own business Ascension Aircraft.

He had a head start at 15 with his first business Larkins Enterprises which sold flight training books and videos to local pilots. "I promise you we started off selling a lot less than we do today," he said in one interview. Jamail still runs that business today, but according to him, 90% of his revenue comes from his aircraft sales and leasing company, Ascension Aircraft, which he established 2006.

Jamail said Ascension took in over $7 million in revenue in 2008, though the economy was spiraling into a devastating recession, and anticipates to earn greater profit in 2010. He hasn't abandoned his passion of flying and intend to get back into aerobatics in 2010.

#13     Jun 2, 2013
  4. Unless you are flying to a business meeting direct then no fucking point in dressing up to sit on a cramped shitty plane.
    Dress for the trip. Jeans and a Tshirt, comfy shoes; no belt.
    I travel a lot and often in Biz class and I could give a shit what anyone thinks of me as I Pile in for 9 hours of hell.

#14     Jun 3, 2013
  5. Luke is also building a plane.

#15     Jun 3, 2013
  6. Thats impressive,kudos to Luke !

#16     Jun 3, 2013
  7. Completely agree and I've had quite a few conversations about it over the years.

It clearly started in the mid-late 60's and by the 1970's those same guys who were walking around downtown in a dark suit were sporting a "leisure suit".

The truth of the matter is that there are so many morbidly obese people wandering around this country now that they can't comfortably fit into the clothing that was around 50 years ago (hence, why you see so many people walking around in expandable waist sweat pants and sweat suits).

#17     Jun 3, 2013
  8. DT-waw

DT-waw

Ahh... those who lived in major U.S. cities from 1930 to about 2000...
    were extremely lucky.
    in those old movies... i can smell a taste of freedom, happiness.
    people seemed to be modest, with moral values, energetic to work, friendly and definitely not stressed.

Besides clothing, i remember russian doctor Konstantin Buteyko saying:
    in the old movies you can notice people who breathe differently (through nose , not chest), speak differently, their posture is firm, straight, chin is up.

Women is whole another story. Heck, even in "Wonderful Years" the family, women, kids were calm, not obsessed with material things.

Today we have smartphones and "internet on computers" :D Not to mention MTV. Carnage on every front.

#18     Jun 3, 2013
  9. pspr

pspr

Ah, the leisure suit. One of the most disgustingly appalling design errors ever to be thrust upon man. All the ills of society today can probably be traced back to the acceptance of the leisure suit into the culture of the 70's! :(

#19     Jun 3, 2013
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Was a different time then. I know we're "better off" with our modern internet technology, etc., but I've got no question the people from then were HAPPIER, and more PRODUCTIVE than we are now. On top of that, they had self-respect, and respectful of others around them. Something that's sorely missing today...

#20     Jun 3, 2013