1920s Buy now/Pay later, 2008 Buy more than Able, 2020 Hopeless ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Handle123, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Handle123

Handle123

Cash is King during very bad times, real estate prices drops, where will your next long term investment be after?

R1234 likes this.
  2. R1234

R1234

Can't predict what's coming in the next few years. But it might be worse than 2008, maybe even 1929 because as the experts in the third video point the global economy is heading into uncharted waters with the systemic risks induced by negative rates and record high sovereign debt to GDP ratios. There's also the permanent downward projections on high paying real wages due to automation coupled with growing population.

Personally in the past several months I have begun to actively readjust how my money is invested, with the thesis that the market and global economy is going to go into different phase. My thinking has been similar to what was being discussed in your third video. I put a large chunk of my money (about 25% of my net worth) into a market neutral strategy. It's almost market neutral - it takes a very small directional bias, 10% net long or 10% net short while attempting to capture alpha on the movement of the spread itself. I still have a sizable portion of my money (about 30%) trading long-only which makes me uncomfortable. For my next research effort I feel I need to focus on designing some short-only systems to balance out my long-only money. The rest of my money is in active long/short timing strategies which I plan to keep trading as-is because it has no correlation to my long-only equity stuff (it trades currencies, commodities, long/short bonds, and long/short indexes).

3. Turveyd

Turveyd

I predicted 2008 and expected and the reasons why and got that right called it from 2005 area took longer than expected to surface then hit hard and fast.

Trump will do deals and hide the facts and it seems allow spending to continue via credit card debt as long as he's in, longer he's in worse it'll be, then when out he can blame on the next person in, didn't happen on his watch, not his issue.

Fun times ahead, if this happens same time as UK leaves the EU with no deal then civil war time for the UK.