18 year old trades

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Hester, Sep 15, 2009.

1. heech

heech

I don't think there's any difference between an 18 year old rookie trader, and a 38 year old rookie trader.

I agree with the earlier comment about focusing on math/statistics... but that's just general life advice, not anything specific about trading. Frankly, a lot of 38 year old traders out there don't have a great grasp of the numbers either. You're definitely not destined to failure.

Here's another piece of life advice. I personally think you should take the "18 year old" description out of this thread, and out of your head. It's just not relevant in this context. Other than entertainment value, no one really cares about your age one way or the other. I could be 16, 26, or 96... and again, why would anyone care? Be ready to stand on your own feet, and start telling us about "Hester's trades".

#31     Sep 17, 2009
  2. Hester

Hester

Looking out further in time you may be right. But with this particular trade I'm just looking for a temporary pull back and I plan to be in the position just a 1 or 2 days. If I don't get a pullback late today or tommorrow I will most likely close the position.

#32     Sep 17, 2009
  3. When was the last time you saw a wildly successful poker player emerge @96?

When was last time you saw a wildly successful "anything" at 96?

Age matters greatly!

Successful trading is a little different but not completely different.

#33     Sep 17, 2009
  4. heech

heech

Well, hell, you took the rather extreme case.

When's the last time you saw a wildly successful poker player emerge for the first time at 20? How about 30? 40? Did age matter?

#34     Sep 17, 2009
  5. how many top 50 hedge fund managers below the age of 30. take a look and cast ur ballots again

#35     Sep 17, 2009
  6. heech

heech

Ken Griffin launched Citadel at 22. He actually started managing funds a few years before that.

#36     Sep 17, 2009
  7. 30 isn't old. 50, now that's old. has anyone over 40 started a successful hedge fund?

#37     Sep 17, 2009
  8. heech

heech

Uh, Jim Simons launched Renaissance at 44.

#38     Sep 17, 2009
  9. NoDoji

NoDoji

Hester, as ET's resident "Mom", I advise you to close this thread and re-open it under a new boring name like "My Trading Journal" or "Taking $30,000 to $30,100 Ten Shares at a Time". It's already become a mess and you've hardly started.

#39     Sep 17, 2009
  10. Hester

Hester

No kidding!!! Its my damn thread, yet I have a third of the posts. There is more posting about how and when I'm gonna fail than their is about my trades. One person says I should just put the 30k in a cd and paper trade for now. Then the next guy says I should put 25 k in a cd and trade with 5 k. Then the next says I should swing trade futures with 25-35 k, even though I've never even seen a future traded in my whole entire life. THATS why I do not give a SHIT about the advice you have for what I do with my money. One person tells me one thing and then another guy says I should do the exact opposite.

I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO WITH MY MONEY.

If you wanna comment on my TRADES, or talk about my strategy, or propose new ideas for trades, I'd be thrilled to engage you in a productive conversation that we both can benefit from. If you want say how much money I will lose or what is the best age to start a hedge fund, or say how dumb I am cause I'm 18 even though you dont know me at all, or even speculate about my gender, then dont post it on this thread, PLEASE.

NoDoji, you are the only person who has consistently commented on what this thread is about, my trading strategy. Thank you.

Nodoji your advice is great. What I should do is make a spinoff thread called, Commentary on Hester's journal.

#40     Sep 17, 2009