17 year old Beginner

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by iLLywiLLy, Apr 17, 2004.

1. klutz

klutz

you want to make money..................... become a plumber

bad plumbers make a good living

bad traders make zilch

#41     Apr 19, 2004
  2. izeickl

izeickl

I read a lot about people stating enough starting capital, and I agree you do need some, but such an amount is not needed. It seems far too many people starting out just start trading huge size. I was gob smacked to read about people who have spent 10s of 1000s learning to trade when it can be avoided.
    It seems many people like to try and portray trading as out of reach of any normal person, I dont know if its part of trying to be eliteist or what. True many people fail, that is repeated again and again, but outwith of that statistic it seems some people are scared of new traders starting up and do all that they can to discourage even learning.

This guy is young, he has a good back up plan/education, he can spread his learning over a long time and trade small for many years. If he starts learning now, he will have 10 years of learning/practise and still only be 27!!!

#42     Apr 19, 2004
  3. The more you start with, the better your odds are, assuming
    good money management. Thats all im saying.

You could scratch out a living with 50k and some leverage,
    but im interested in more than just a living.

I want my capital to grow like crazy, which means the percentage
    that I pull out for living wages better be small compared to
    my total capital.

peace

axeman

#43     Apr 19, 2004
  4. iLLywiLLy

iLLywiLLy

When I get my CCNA, I will be able to pull in $25-40K minimum part-time. Keep in mind I will be 18 and living in a dorm. Not very many expenses there and college will be covered by parents. :p So 2-4 years, I'll have $50Kish. As I build up capital, hopefully I will also be growing as a trader. Thanks for bringing up a good point. As for now, I'm just trying to learn what I can and experience the whole 'thing'.

William

#44     Apr 19, 2004
  5. Yep....keep those expenses low....bust ass.... get the capital
    as high as you can before going fulltime.

Think about it in terms of % return.

With a 200K account, if you pull 40% a year, thats only 80K a year.

What percentage of funds can consistently pull a 40% a year return?

Answer that question and you will be firmly grounded in reality.

peace

axeman

#45     Apr 19, 2004
  6. Mecro

Mecro

I like the plan.

Start swing trading or even trying a little scalping when you don't have classes. You will learn a LOT by raw experience. CNBC is good for the general opinion and some concepts.

Do not worry about making money, just trade. I lost my first 1000 bucks with Suretrade but I learned a lot.

#46     Apr 19, 2004
  7. V-Viper

V-Viper

I am in the same postion as you. I'm 17 and I can't wait to enter the trading arena. I spoted TASR last week and I was sure it'll go up. So I tryed to get a IB account, but you need to be 21 :(.

Just hope when I get Pops to open an account I can trade my capital in easy moves like that. Aaaww, 10k worth of TASR shares +$20 each in less than a week.. a kid can dream.

Yes I need some sense smacked into me. :D

#47     Apr 19, 2004
  8. too dangerous, i deleted it...lol :)

Michael B.

#48     Apr 19, 2004
  9. ig0r

ig0r

haha I agree, no free lunches... believe it or not I lost about 400 on TASR calls today, imagine that

#49     Apr 19, 2004
  10. Mecro

Mecro

You will get your ass handed to you.

#50     Apr 20, 2004