17% Softdrink and beer/wine tax idea?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Sep 10, 2009.

1. What do you think I doubt someone paying 17-18 cents more for a 2 liter bottle of coke is going to suffer for it and it is a discretionary purchase.

I think such a tax could be used to pay for the deficit that we are running etc.

Or for this health care inititative?

2. it would be a regressive tax (bad idea), a slippery slope (what will we tax next) and it would probably not solve the problem as the consumption of these items would decrease proportionally...

and we don't need an additional tax to implement healthcare initiative. We already pay twice as much as any other country and have nothing to show for it. We need to make sure that the money we already pay are used to treat people instead of lining up the pockets of HMO executives. Any healthcare proposal requiring more healthcare expenditures than what we already pay is a scam.

3. I think we should tax fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Domino's, etc.

4. I think we should tax those little gay bicycling outfits.

5. I have an idea, why don't we just put an extra 17% tax on everything our fearless leaders in Washington think is discretionary so that we can give the lazy, least productive members of society healthcare. If we do that, our country will improve immediately. Afterall, it is the fat-ass, lazy, welfare recipients that really make America work. Those folks who hold jobs and pay their own way through life are just a bunch greedy bastards.

6. Since we are discussing targeted special punitive taxes, here are my choices:

1) Tax the income of all elected officials @ 66.666%

2) Add a special "save the world" tax of 66.666% on all Starbucks products.

and finally:

Add a "mobilize the resistance" tax of 100% on all sporting and NASCAR events (this would include tickets and food and beverage products) [The proceeds of this tax would go into a special lock box, for the express purpose of buying all elected officials a one way ticket to France]

7. Eight

Eight

Consumption taxes on stupid things is the greatest.. I hate progressive taxes, it just means that as we "progress" more people will be on the dole and less people will want to work...

I support taxes on liquor, cigarettes, shitty unhealthy food, shitty unhealthy drinks, gasoline [I hate driving anymore, I do it as little as possible]... basically those kinds of taxes are paid by everybody, criminals, tax dodgers, illegal aliens... it's payback time for the welfare state baby...