17/13

Discussion in 'Forex' started by cabletrader, Apr 10, 2009.

1. The only thing is these trades sometimes only go 5 or 10 pips into profit, it seems a shame to let even a small winner turn into a 20 or 30 pips stop loss loser. Even just using a trailing stop at least the original risk is reduced, I was thinking maybe either a take profit like you said and/or tighten up the trailing stop the further price moves in the trades favor (ie when it's +30 reduce the trailing stop to 15, when it's +40 reduce it to 10 etc etc) what do you think?

#11     Apr 13, 2009
  2. No cameras. Speed limit is 65, depending on area, state etc.
    60-120 was more fun than 0-60.
    Anything 30 mph over the posted limit is considered "driving to endanger", arrestable offense.:eek:

#12     Apr 13, 2009
  3. Can you program a trailing stop into your broker?
    Today may not be the best day, with the Euro holidays.

#13     Apr 13, 2009
  4. I guess if you wanted to add a 10 pip trailing stop to my original example that would protect you if price shot up 10 pips then fell again. You would only lose 5 pips instead of 15 pips.

As for tighten up the trailing stop it makes sense, but it's a little bit more complicated. I like to keep things simple, my brain can't handle too much information :D

#14     Apr 13, 2009
  5. You can write an EA to do pretty much anything on MT4 :)

I think Oanda are adding trailing stops soon as well.

#15     Apr 13, 2009
  6. 3 reports due at 8:30 NY time. If there are spikes.......
    Although, many reports cause the usual spike, then price returns to it's previous course.

#16     Apr 14, 2009
  7. Looks like maybe a 20 pip stop and target would work ok, Gbp/Usd 2am +20, 8am -20, and Eur/Usd +20 2am and +20 8am.

#17     Apr 14, 2009
  8. Similar results on the London open this a.m.?
    Again, approx 20 would have been about right.

#18     Apr 15, 2009
  9. Looks like about right, 20 on Cable and 20 on Eur. It would have worked out on Usd/Jpy 22/18 as well this morning, but not on Usd/Chf using 27/23.

I'm going to get my little East European friend to write another EA if he's still around, I'll post it here if he does, I get a buzz out of automated strategies!

What I find ironic is that such a simple strategy can be profitable in such a complex market, it kinda kicks all those indicators into touch :)

#19     Apr 15, 2009
  10. Why do you reason that this system works? From the few trades in this thread? More over, what are your criterions to determine weather a system is worth trading or not?

I have tested various similar morning breakout systems. They all performed exceptionally well in some years, and abysmal in others (overall pretty much flat over a ~5 year period). They are obviously not a perpetuum mobile ATM machine. What this needs is a logic to determine when to pull the plug and when to trade.

#20     Apr 15, 2009