16 year old new to trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Rsoxs19, Jan 2, 2017.

1. 777

Some people do that.

And learning how markets work and trading skills are important.

However, there is good reason for a 16 year old to learn to code. The perfect age with the time.

Living at home with elective classes to take or in college.. perfect. There are even summer boot camps.

The benifits of having this skill are many.

This skill was one Bill Gates highly recommends young people develope.
    ___

Learning how to think well and how to perform under pressure is important.

A number of firms give points to top games players: backgammon, bridge, chess, poker, etc.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    #101     Sep 21, 2017
  2. No doubt coding is valuable but I wouldn't focus on coding when most coding jobs r outsourced at couple bucks an hour. Who wants to compete with that. However Subject matter expert shortage exist . Although coding is picked up along the way,!enough to code protype. Gates coded when he was 14, it's a different world out there 50 years later ...

#102     Sep 21, 2017
  3. sle

sle

Could you show where you can hire a competent developer for a few bucks an hour? Cause I'd hire a couple :)

#103     Sep 21, 2017
    d08 and lovethetrade like this.
  4. How good r yr specs ?garbage in garbage out

#104     Sep 21, 2017
  5. checkout any local community college, post an add. Make sure your specs are thorough and complete. They won't know mind reading ...

#105     Sep 22, 2017
  6. Yeah, i read about that. Try to get a real job with game playing skill set and see how far you get. BTW which programming language should a 16 yr old learn? They change as often as a girl changes clothes.

#106     Sep 22, 2017
  7. 777

I only know what I read and what a billionaire founder of an international trading firm trading only it's own money has told me.

You are entitled to your feelings but I am done with you on this topic.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    #107     Sep 22, 2017
  8. 777

Oh.. wait.. I happen to know several world class games players with nothing else going for them who landed trading jobs and were rather quickly trading large sums, but I would not plan on this route.

Sesqhanna has all their new traders learn and play poker. One year they sent a group of traders to Vegas to count cards.

One firm found that a traders ability to play games well was a higher predictor of how well they would do than their educational background.

Yes... high level games playing is a plus with a number of firms. And if a very young person becomes good at games playing they most likely are developing skills and mind sets that will later on help them in their own trading.

Coding? Sheesh.. it is well known that is a good skill to have on a resume. It is a good skill to have if your trade on your own. Obviously if one learns young they will keep on top of things and grow. Sheesh.. good grief...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    #108     Sep 22, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  9. To focus a career on coding with out learning subject matter is bad advise. A coder can always be hired but SME is always required. To know both would be ideal but something is going to give. Especially today, systems are more complex. Most don't understand the complexities unless you've been there. Coding is nice, but much more lucrative being a SME. I've been on many assignments with 300+ programmers and a dozen or so SME. Guess who got the big bucks. Guess where the programmers come from? And you're suggesting a 16 yr old to go down that path. 777 can go to the back of the room and face the corner

#109     Sep 22, 2017
  10. sle

sle

At a certain level of detail specifications become a prototype :) I doubt, thought, that a community college student will be able to tackle what I need done.

Not important. If you learn a programming process (in any language, be it Python or Fortran) the "right way", you can quickly pick up any language you need for the job. It's a weapon in your arsenal, nothing more (too many people get hung up on the process of coding and tools), but nothing less (in the modern world, any trader or PM job will require some level of data manipulation etc).

#110     Sep 22, 2017
    777 likes this.