15B for the Automakers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by TGregg, Dec 5, 2008.

1. talknet

talknet

Only when a company is bankrupt or collapsing, the government (Uncle Sam) takes over the bankrupt company.

So the company shuts down in future after government takeover. This has to happen.

#31     Dec 8, 2008
  2. TGregg

TGregg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_on_go_co/congress_autos

#32     Dec 8, 2008
  3. Do you bother reading the drivel you write?

Bankruptcy would dismantle the UAW & thieving auto execs and let either the Japanese & German automakers buy up the plants or have new start-ups do so.

You are essentially supporting the continued bailing out of organizations whose main purpose is sucking out money for the corporate & union executives, money from the government & shareholders.

By the way that's OUR tax dollars which are pledged to pay for all that new created money. Although I doubt that matters to you, not like you are able to earn anything significant.

#33     Dec 8, 2008
  4. Okay, Rich. I see where your head is in all of this. You believe that American businesses must be saved at any expense. May I ask if you've really studied the economic issues at play here?

If you really think that all of Honda's and Toyota's profits go to Japan, then I suggest you look at how many American families put food on their tables as a direct result of Honda and Toyota being in this country.

And I really wonder why you care if America sells lots of cars or not. What does it matter to you? Who are you to tell us how we should allocate our tax dollars? If you believe that the USD will be weakened if our auto industry fails, then I suggest you move into GBP, CHF, JPY, etc. If you're afraid there will be no competition, then I suggest you look at the fact that Germany competes with Japan and now Korea quite fiercely.

And if you want to go spending the tax dollars of others, then why not put this money to work at American automakers that are thriving (e.g., Tesla) and could actually use the money to expand research and production--not just pay off decades-old debt that never should have been incurred?

If America fails, it won't be because the free market dictated it. It will be the direct result of slashing our productivity to save a bunch of horse buggy manufacturers when the market clearly demanded something else.

If you can't see that, then I respectfully withdraw from this discussion. I have finally learned in life that I can't sit and discuss logic in a religious debate.

Good luck to you.

#34     Dec 8, 2008
  5. TGregg

TGregg

But that's not what is happening. Powerful political forces are lining up to make a bank pay up. They want to exort money from a bank that is not liable.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_on_re_us/workers_takeover

Taking bailouts from the government is a lot like selling your soul to the Devil - it just doesn't end well.

#35     Dec 8, 2008
  6. TGregg

TGregg

And they're already talking about Automaker Bailout 2.0 in March:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081209/ts_afp/usautoeconomypolitics

#36     Dec 9, 2008
  7. richrf

richrf

Great idea. Let's send all profits overseas - China, Japan, Middle East. Everything. And when we are totally broke, we can close up shop and move overseas where all of the wealth and industry exists. Or we can stay here, and sell burgers to each other. But we won't be able to buy any cars, because we own nothing and make no profits. Nice little economy you have thought of.

Of course, we could go in a different direction, and build our own U.S. owned businesses here in the U.S. Just because some scam artists on Wall Street bankrupt our country, doesn't mean I'm going to lie down and give up. I'm for rebuilding, alongside Obama and my other fellow Americans. You, my friend, can go short.

#37     Dec 9, 2008
  8. richrf

richrf

America went bankrupt because some naive people believed that they can open up the safe, walk away, and Limbaugh and friends will look at he goods and just leave it be. Pleeeassse ... Free Market Bush, has no clue what real life is about, and Wall Street and Big Oil just went wild, once they found out there was no gatekeeper and the wealth could just be grabbed with no risk at all. Meanwhile, Limbaugh, the mouth of the scheme, exhorts his DittoHeads to look the other way, as his pals make off with the goods. A neat way to make $100 million bucks.

Well, what is done is done. Time to rebuild. I'm investing in America. Those who want to short America, go right ahead. I am waiting to buy.

#38     Dec 9, 2008
  9. richrf

richrf

Airbus is kicking ass. So are all of the auto companies in Japan, Korea, and Europe that get huge subsidies from their governments. Why? Because unlike the DittoHeads here in the U.S., those people know that it is much more profitable to be the landlord than it is to be the tenant.

#39     Dec 9, 2008
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Taking bailouts from the government is a lot like selling your soul to the Devil - it just doesn't end well.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081210/congress_autos.html

The White House got Congress to drop that clause on Automaker Bailout v1.0, but when the ObamaNation arrives there'll be less opposition to it. You can count on something like that in Automaker Bailout v2.0 in Febuary.

#40     Dec 10, 2008