158,000 IT Jobs Sent Offshore in 2010

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I have friends with nursing degree cannot find nursing jobs, it has been a year since one friend was state certified. Hospitals import nurses with experience from Philippines or So Africa.

#21     Jan 11, 2011
  2. In the Philippines, you can get workers for call centers for $2-5/day - not per hour. They speak good English.

#22     Jan 11, 2011
  3. That is exactly what I am doing. Just be sure that we don't get the TRANSACTION TAX.

America is one of very few countries that tax forex trading profits.

#23     Jan 11, 2011
  4. Free markets viz unregulated markets promote race to the bottom.

#24     Jan 11, 2011
  5. My experiences with IT staff in the US have been quite unimpressive. Obviously this is just me but I have worked with well paid staff at a number of well known firms, some with great reputations.
    None have impressed me with their knowledge or abilities and even more so I have found them in general to have bad attitudes. Not outright rude but they do tend to look down their noses and expect the other business functions to arrange themselves around them. Shitty customer service in other words.
    If my experiences are common place, then this is reason enough for companies to take their IT business elsewhere.

#25     Jan 11, 2011
  6. There are no agencies when us corps open foreign subsidiary operations. The foreign workers cost less than the cost of benefits of a US worker.

#26     Jan 11, 2011
  7. You are right. Just the expensive cost of health insurance for employees, especially if they are married with children, in the U.S. is reason enough to outsource work to foreign countries.

#27     Jan 11, 2011
  8. i know with computer programming jobs, there isn't a net loss to the US because most of the jobs they export to india would have disappeared regardless of whether india existed or not.

example: i worked at a software company before, and we exported about 10 jobs to india to maintain some nearly useless program we had. this program didn't generate enough revenue to justify hiring US programmers to maintain and update it. if we weren't able to export those jobs to india, the program would have been canned completely. so in reality, those 10 "jobs" in the US that went to india would have disappeared from the US regardless.

those figures they cite are bogus. in my example, they would have assumed 10 lost US jobs when it was actually 1 or 2 intern positions lost.

#28     Jan 11, 2011
  9. ~150k tech jobs lost to offshore is nothing, most of you probably are not aware how many IT jobs IN THE USA are lost to indians.

I work in technology in one of the top 5 ibs, it's about 80% indian and 20% others split between white / chinese+koreans etc. nowdays.

In the last few years, there is a drastic increase in middle management (vp/svp) becoming indian. When i first joined 6 years ago, almost all the indians are developers, now the vp/svp level are ~50% indian as well, and of course they mostly hire other indians.

Basically the way it works is the bank ask an indian outsource company such as tcs/wipro for cheap labor, and the consulting firms ship some programmer from india to the usa to fill the position. The bank pays the consulting firm anywhere from 70-100k total, and the consulting firms pay the workers minimum wage (~40k) and pocket the rest.

Then after a few years, the bank realized they cannot get rid of those minimum wage indians as they developed the bank's various critical systems, often times coded in such messy/manually-driven manner it becomes unmaintainable and only the original developer know how to support it. So the bank converts those indians to green card and offer them full employee status along with american salary.

Then those indians are now freely to look for jobs within the US market and compete with regular americans. Imagine this on a nationwide scale and you have a basic picture what the IT industry in the USA looks like right now.

The sad part of all this are a lot of those indians are not that good - skilled programmers. America is an immigration nation, but in the past we only take the best foreigners and make them us citizens, now we take the cheapest...

#29     Jan 11, 2011
  10. well, i think these are quite reasonable pays. if you dont have large debt and free basic health. Not sure this is the case in US.
    If you good and make 1-2k a month, whats wrong with that ?

prices of everything will follow down. instead paying plummer 2000 a day, you will pay 200.

But agree it is not enough to raise a family eazily until some deflation sets things straight.

#30     Jan 11, 2011