158,000 IT Jobs Sent Offshore in 2010

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I think 158,000 IT Jobs are serious concern. What about other jobs?

#11     Jan 10, 2011
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Pensions, hmmmmm!!!

Can the states afford to continue and pay these pensions moving forward?

More than half of the states in the US are broke!!!

#12     Jan 10, 2011
  3. Anyone got a count on call center / customer service / tech support jobs that have been rerouted offshore?

These jobs were the entry level jobs for young americans. Paid $25k - $60k.. enough so our students can make their student loan payments and buy shit...

Offshore these jobs pay $5k - $12k dollar converted... no benefits 60 hour work weeks. 5 - 6 days. You pick up the lunch and tea tab instead.

I'd estimate over a 5 million of these jobs now sit in foreign call centers.

#13     Jan 10, 2011
  4. i think you exaggerate differential in pay.

these people work thru it firms and these take 75%, give employee 25%. Add up these numbers in your case (which i think underestimated) and you get total cost range 20-48K. Add costs of training at the destination and rotation etc and cost is the same except support person is far away and there is political risk.
    I dont believe outsourcing IT has legs. IT companies may get contracts but if they do not deliver genuine savings, they will shrink.

#14     Jan 10, 2011
  5. I think employees get 15% or 20%. People say it is a big story.

#15     Jan 10, 2011

6. WRONG.....i have worked with really good virtual assistants who pull 60 hour weeks and get paid 3k per YEAR......they even have skills in programming c++, java, css, php, html, mysql, ajax etc.....they show up everyday...and work their ass off.....

yes....a reliable english speaking overseas individual working for $275 per month.......they show up everyday....and work.....it's not exaggerated macroman....

you can get a senior level programmer full time for 1-2k per month....and when i say senior I mean senior....they know what they are doing....and can lead projects.....do hard layouts....and integrations.....and in the US would be worth 100k plus....

i have fielded resumes where the address was 3 Jookablalahaahahah place (by the watertower), they actually put the part about the watertower.

and worked with them for some time.....and they know what's going on....

here is the tricky part....and some words of wisdom....alot of these guys try and get US wages.....and they barter like you wouldn't believe and try and sell you the world to get the extra buck....i mean these guys were born to barter.......they will eventually give up and agree to what local wage rates are in their respective countries when they realize that you are wise.....but there is some dumb idiot out there in the US paying 600 bucks a month to a data entry guy in india.....and the guy in india is loving life.....having backyard bbq's with 10 b**tches and laughing.........

dataentry jobs = 150-225 per month....full time
    call center jobs = 200-300 per month...full time
    junior programmer = 600 per month....full time....
    senior programmer = 1k-2k per month..full time....

airplane pilot = 1.2k-1.6 k per month...full time....

indian guys in next door office building say that a heart surgeon trained in US who goes back to india makes like 30k.....

your wrong macroman....

#16     Jan 10, 2011
  7. Very true. The contract agency and middleman take huge cuts.

#17     Jan 10, 2011
  8. Remember the stink when it turned out that the fancy US night vision goggles were made in China?

#18     Jan 10, 2011
  9. kandlekid

kandlekid

What exactly does this mean (from the article) ?

"It's important to note that the report includes only jobs associated with the provisioning of IT services internal to American and European companies. IT jobs in the tech sector itself, such hardware, software, telecom and service providers, are not in scope of this analysis."

"not in scope of this analysis" ... meaning not counted ?

And I think it's interesting that the article is dated 11/23/10. So maybe the number is even higher ... and the first number they gave was in error ...

#19     Jan 11, 2011
  10. ashatet

ashatet

I work with IT, I clearly see less demand for talent than even in 2009-10. Its getting worse actually. It is not too hard to get a job in IT, but the days of demanding a good pay are gone for good I believe.

The outsourcing will continue until the $ falls enough and oil goes up enough that it is not worth to send a job outside. Every kid I talk to is studying to be a nurse or a journalist. I only met one kid studying to be an engineer.

So, when almost none of the kids are studying to be in IT, this outsourcing should not be an issue. The kids are studying to be entertainers and singers and journalists and nurses and ball players. Do we have openings in these fields to absorb all the kids?? I guess not.

#20     Jan 11, 2011