15 years in prison for Ponzi scheme

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nobert, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Nobert

Nobert

wrbtrader and destriero like this.
  2. mlawson71

mlawson71

The judge threw the whole library at her. I am not surprised, according to that news report she hurt a whole lot of people.

wrbtrader likes this.
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

her victims paid for those teddies

4. easymon1

easymon1

Former Inmates Describe Habits They Formed In Prison That Were Hard To Break
    [​IMG]
    Lowe Saddler
    Updated July 17, 2019 130.2k views20 items
    Inmates encounter a variety of obstacles during incarceration, and many of those challenges force them to develop hard-to-break prison habits. Consequently, prison reform supporters suggest incarcerated people lose their dignity and basic human rights when they become numbers in the system. Regardless of where you stand on this issue, it's clear convicts must adjust to new, often jarring ways of life after they've entered a correctional facility.

On the inside, prisoners constantly answer to guards, and they have little to no autonomy and rarely feel comfortable or safe. Even after regaining their freedom, some former convicts continue to hoard cigarettes - the universal jailhouse currency - as though they were still behind bars. Similarly, people who've spent time in women's prisons will often stock up on feminine hygiene products, as it's hard to say when supplies will run out while behind bars.

Reddit contributors share prison stories of habits they can't quite shake, and if nothing else, their behavior paints a more complete picture of a correctional system that could possibly stand for improvement.

• Being Overly Aware Of Sharp Objects
      From Redditor /u/Skishkitteh:

Staring at sharp things. Like there's no desire to use them inappropriately but you are just kinda shocked they're there and available for use. You might be surprised what qualifies as a sharp object. I remember whenever someone tried to hand me a knife or something to cut veggies I'd be afraid to touch it. Glass was the biggest thing though, just mirrors in all the bathrooms. Real ones. I could smash that sh*t and have a big jagged weapon, I can't believe this Italian restaurant has such a dangerous thing in their bathroom.

• Stashing Ramen Noodles
      From Redditor /u/dbx99:

I still like having a stash of ramen packs somewhere, even if I'm not going to eat them.

• Not Being Able To Pull Your Pants Down All The Way In The Bathroom
      From Redditor /u/ajdo:

Taking a [poo] with my underwear up to my thighs to hide my junk. It took a long time to go back to pants around the ankles.

• Showering While Wearing Shoes
      From Redditor /u/the-walkin-dude:

Not wearing shoes in the shower.

• Collecting Cigs
      From Redditor /u/interchangeable-bot:

I don't smoke, but every time someone offered me a cig I would pocket it. On the inside that's a bartering chip, took me about a month or two to break

• Getting Rid Of Things
      From Redditor /u/IceburgSlimk:

I carry extra clothes, water, and various other things in my car in case I need it (I'm not a hoarder but harder to get rid of stuff).

• Hoarding Feminine Hygiene Products
      From Redditor /u/feiticeirarose:

Hoard feminine hygiene products. We were super limited on the number of pads or tampons they gave us. They didn't give any to the women in holding cells. There was dried and fresh menstrual blood on the floor and concrete benches, and a drain in the middle of the rooms like they intended to hose down the room, but if they did it was not often enough.

• Only Using Spoons
      From Redditor /u/justinlarson:

I didn't use a fork for a few weeks. Ate everything with a spoon without thinking.

• Being Pessimistic
      From Redditor /u/Elrond_the_Ent:

By far the hardest conditioning to break, which I haven't and doubt I ever will, is the constant pessimism and cautious optimism. You see, when you're waiting to work your way through court, get a deal, and get sentenced, you will have your dates changed 50 times, hope for certain things only to be disappointed, and any time you are told something hopeful it doesn't work out.

As a result, I never get excited for something until it actually happens. When my wife told me we were pregnant... I was obviously happy, but because I'm always cautiously optimistic and rarely show emotion, I couldn't feel comfortable or excited until I knew my developing daughter was healthy. Even then, it didn't really hit me till she was born...

You just can't get your hopes up or look forward to anything until it is here or has happened.

• Waking Up Really Early
      From Redditor /u/rstroh7:

I did almost seven years. Been out two years... There are multiple head counts where the guards make sure all the inmates are accounted for. Every morning at 5:00 am I felt like I was doing something wrong if I slept past 5:00 am. It took me almost six months before I slept past 5:00. Even now, 6:00 am is sleeping in for me. It has allowed me to never be late to work, and show up everyday.

[​IMG]
      See what is ranked #1
      The Most Bitter Sibling Rivalries In History
    • Having A Skewed Sense Of Time
      From Redditor /u/DeuceTheDog:

I had to completely change my sense of time. I agree with all the people who said they ate super fast, but then we would slow walk back from the chow hall - any excuse for a few minutes more outside.

I made sure I never consolidated enjoyable things. If I had a snack, I ate it and concentrated on it. If there was something good on TV, I watched it. Now, I’ll snack while I watch a movie because there aren’t enough hours in the day, but on the inside I was trying to make hours and days go away.

• Taking Short Showers
      From Redditor /u/Dysphoric_Otter:

[Now you can take] as long as you want in the shower. [But] for the longest time after I got out, I took less than five minute showers.

• Taking Action Without Telling An Authority Figure Or Another Person
      From Redditor /u/MaxDMJ:

I was only locked up for four months in total, all things considered I got off easy. Hardest habit to break was just doing something without telling someone else. Hard to remember there's no authority figure once you're out.

• Appearing Indifferent
      From Redditor /u/PaintshakerBaby:

God, I got out two years ago and I cannot for the life of me shake my aggressive posturing... That's all prison is, being hyper vigilant, and I would argue worse yet, always appearing indifferent. Like you could be kickin it with your "friends," laughing, watching TV, but then even the slightest missphrasing of something or a sudden movement will shift the whole mood of the room at the drop of a dime.

So whatever emotion you display has to be instantly shut off and on a moment's notice you have to be "booted and suited." I would return to my unit on occasion and there would be blood smeared on the walls from a fight I missed. You didn't look at it. Eyes forward, indifferent.

• Walking Or Running Laps
      From Redditor /u/Official--Moderator:

Doing laps. In prison, every time you get time on the yard, you do laps. Seriously, almost every single person does it too. When you get out, it's hard to break that habit.

• Turning Random Food Items Into Intricate Meals
      From Redditor /u/peanutjesus:

Making prison commissary-only food. Everyone around me thinks it is gross... to throw summer sausages, pickles, cheese, Doritos, Cheetos, and such into my ramen noodles, but good lord, I can't stop, and I have been out for five years.

• Trading Food Items
      From Redditor /u/Ondareal:

I did a few months in county jail [and I can't stop] trading food. When I got out I asked my girlfriend to trade me her chicken wings for my macaroni. Pure habit. I really could've just went to the kitchen and gotten more chicken.

• Being Extremely Protective Of Your Belongings
      From Redditor /u/sDotAgain:

Protecting your personal property in an obsessive manner... When I was locked up, I always knew what was going on 360 degrees around me. Only the last unit I was in had lockers with actual locks, so before that, I had to protect my commie, paperwork, and books all the time. Most people would fight you to take your [possessions] because that is the respectful way to do it, but cat burglars are the worst; they sneak around and take [things]. They get f*cked up by everyone when they get caught. It is code: you want my sh*t, come get it. No sneaking around and stealing it.

• Eating Food Incredibly Quickly
      From Redditor /u/IBroughtMySoapbox:

I’ve been out eight years and I still eat like a dog. Most prisons give you 30 minutes for your meal but that includes the walk from your cell block to the chow hall, waiting in line, and finding a seat. Normally by the time I actually get a piece of food in my mouth I’ve already got a CO [correctional officer] yelling over my shoulder to hurry up. It’s really annoying going out to eat with people and gobbling up your meal only to be stuck watching normal people eat for 20 minutes.

• Stocking Up On Toilet Paper
      From Redditor /u/tentosamo:

I find myself hoarding toilet paper under my bed. Sometimes I do it without thinking and I'll look under there and have 10 rolls of TP.