133 known viruses

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oldtime, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ok, thanks for clearing that up.

I just intalled firefox today

what is the noscript extension? as it is now I have all the defaults

#11     Jul 26, 2012
  2. As I said in the other thread about this subject:

ESET's products are highly recommended.

I wasn't the only one who mentioned it either.

Their SmartSecurity package also picks up malware/spyware.

I have yet to find a better solution, nothing else really compares:

http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/

#12     Jul 26, 2012
  3. Aisone

Aisone

Noscript controls javascript permissions on a site by site basis. Javascript is often used to infect users machines. For sites and domains you trust, you give javascript permissions. New sites that are risky or you aren't familiar with, ie google results that you're checking out, default as not permitted. Controlling javascript when surfing is probably the single most effective way to keep malware off your computer.

Another extension to look up is "adblock plus", which blocks ads, speeding up surfing and minimizing annoying ads. This can also be controlled site by site, but in general is on for all sites.

When using these extensions, particularly noscript, they can block out desirable content like video or flash or menu options etc., so more often than not you'll give site permissions. But by it defaulting to no permissions, it prevents infections when happening across malicious sites inadvertently etc.

#13     Jul 26, 2012
  4. right, he activated the adblock plus, I'll do the same with javascript/no script.

The general consensus is no anitivirus software is very good, and the best protection is to be careful.

thanks again

#14     Jul 26, 2012
  5. Aisone

Aisone

That's a fairly arrogant consensus imo. I don't understand that conclusion, particularly for non-geeks who aren't as familiar with all the risks and how they play out etc. And seeing that a program like microsoft security essentials uses very light resources, isn't obtrusive, and runs in the background, there is no downside to using it.

#15     Jul 26, 2012
  6. sorry, I didn't mean it that way, I've just been told by many not to rely on it without controlling risky behavior, thanks again for the reply

#16     Jul 26, 2012
  7. I always tell people to only run one antivirus program at a time (AV, Spyware, etc. only run one) because usually each of them are set to be the primary/default on the machine. What happens is they try to turn off the other AV or spyware programs so that it can be the primary/default.

What ends up happening is both programs cancel each other out or turn each other off and then you have zero protection. It doesn't always work that way but AV and spyware programs are tricky so it's best to pick one and stick with it.

I use MSE on all the machines and I've (knocks on wood) never had any issues with viruses and trust me... I go to my fair share of shady sites.

#17     Jul 26, 2012
  8. Aisone

Aisone

Ah, I see. Yes, I very much agree with that. Good trading.

#18     Jul 26, 2012